Oak Cornice for kitchen cabinets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerM

Established Member
Reaction score
Before long I'll be needing about 24m of European oak cornice to run along the top of some kitchen and utility room cabinets. It should be unfinished so that i can finish it in Osmo polyX oil to match the rest of the oak in the kitchen - so I DO NOT want wrapped mdf or a pre-finished product.

So far I've found this from Chiltern Timber Supplies, or this from British hardwoods.

I don't have a spindle to do my own, and I'm guessing that 24mm is too short a run to order something bespoke. However, 24m is probably too much to make myself using the table saw trick - particularly the cleaning up.

So is buying off the shelf the only way?

Anyone else know any other suppliers?

Is there any other solution I've not thought of?

I feel I have to mention it as you have not already excluded it, but what about making it by hand?
The simple profile from Chiltern would only need a rebate plane or router on the back and one big round plane on the front which you should be able to buy for about a tenner on ebay or from a dealer. Assuming you have a source of cheap oak to start with, that is!
24m would be quite an 'interesting' quantity to do - a bit of a work-out, admittedly, but also enough that you would be quick and efficient at doing it before you'd finished.
Have a search on here or on his blog for some mouldings Pekka Hutta did for his house - I think it was a similar quantity.

Andy - if it was only 1 or 2 metres I would be happy to do it by hand, or by the table saw trick, but 80 ft of the stuff? I think I'd lose the will to live. I'm busy looking thru the Wealden and Axminster websites looking at which cutters I'd need to do it myself on the router table. At least then I can't run out of the stuff!

Hi Roger,

I work for a joinery company and would be more than happy to oroduce this for you. Please feel free to pm me with some more information if you are interested.

The cornices would be done on a spindle moulder in house and run from solid oak to your specs. They would then be bubble wrapped sufficiently and sent via a courier to you.

Kind regards.

Adam

I have a Trend router cutter that does a similar profile to the british hardwoods one, use it quite often for both hardwood and MDF. Its one of the few things I use the router table for these days.

J

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

=Adam=":1tje03zt said:
I work for a joinery company and would be more than happy to oroduce this for you. Please feel free to pm me with some more information if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer Adam. I've decided on a simple shaker style section and I think it will be easy enough to do that on the planer thicknesser and router table, and I may even use some of the money saved to buy a baby powerfeed for it.

Back