oak and walnut mitered table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary M

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
following my design post about making chunky furniture for a friend i have had a go at a table, its made from 2" oak and 1.5" walnut (just for a feature).
Sorry but i don't really have any WIP shots as i got engrossed and forgot all about them :oops:

Here are the boards planed up ready for glue up
suppose i should describe the build as i go, the table stands 450mm tall,420mm deep and 600mm wide
e7c54e75.jpg

for the glue up, i didn't use any biscuits just straight foward glue joint due to the width of the boards,
e7c54e71.jpg

e7c54e6e.jpg

i'm afraid thats all the WIP shots :oops: due to waiting until the next day for the glue to go off, here is a pic of the finished article

e7c56786.jpg

forgot to mention i made another couple of mirrors as well

i glued the boards together to make up one long piece wich i then cut down to just over size on my new SIP saw using my home made panel cutting jig and then used the jig again with the blade tilted to 45 degrees i cut to final mitred size with rather pleasing results
e7c56854.jpg

e7c56871.jpg

I didn't think that glue alone was sufficient to hold the joints so i decided to route a stopped groove along the mitred edge, and use a 12mm thick by 24mm wide loose ply tongue and it worked a treat !!
e7c5676c.jpg

e7c56888.jpg

I used blue masking tape to pull the joints tight on glue up and tacked on a baton across the bottom to keep everything square
e7c568a1.jpg

e7c56838.jpg

Finished with two coats of danish oil and two coats of wax,
e7c56753.jpg

e7c566ee.jpg

e7c568e2.jpg

Thanks everyone for your helpful advise, all comments gratefully received :D

Gary that's a beautiful piece. Very well done.

Gary,

Not to my taste, but you have produce a good table. Interesting grain that is shown off well. The best bit is it is what you were asked to make, has your friend passed comment on it?

Very nice piece that, i think the woods compliment each other well. It will hopefully age well.
owen

Thanks for the replies guys,
I really appreciate your views good or bad :D
Dave, my friend was delighted with the new table that now has pride of place in the living room, and might want a bigger one :wink:

Gary M":1zsjbwr7 said:
Dave, my friend was delighted with the new table that now has pride of place in the living room, and might want a bigger one :wink:
Gary,

That's what it is all about, happy customer, repeat orders. =D>

It really is a lovely job. I especially like the contrast between the two timbers and the character in the oak. And the chunky look and feel it has to it - you probably wouldn't get either of those if this was made from veneered MDF!

I've just started a college and while veneering, our tutor said that cascamite (whatever it's called now) is also ideal for edge-jointing boards. If you use PVA then, apparently, 6 months down the line, you can 'feel' the join.

It looks like you've used a Titebond glue here? I've heard good things about them so you should be fine. I might have to give it a try one day myself.

recently tried to buy some cascamite in west london,
apparantely it is called extramite now, it is i understand a urea based product, but no one stocked it.

a wood yard guy said " we used to stock it, and never sold it, then now we've stopped people keep asking for it" :?

it was made by humbrol who recently went bust, so who knows?

paul :wink:

Scrit posted a link to a website that sells it (extramite) on one of my workbench threads, but i'll be damned if I can find it again, maybe scrit will be so kind as to re-post it again?

AGW sell it at a good price - that glue business been sold on yet again and its name is no longer extramite - it is called resinmite.

Back