Nova DVR DIY Remote

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanh

Established Member
Reaction score
A remote box for the DVR has been on the Teknatool website for many months now and after several emails to them about it I've got fed up waiting and built my own. The need for this box was brought forward by the purchase of the outrigger - leaning round a large workpiece felt decidedly uncomfortable and dangerous in my somewhat cramped workshop.

There are posts on how someone did this, along with a wiring diagram on the MSN Nova group - http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners

Please note - the MSN group has now closed and to see the images you will need to join the Nova group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/teknatool/
The photos are in the Walt Ahlgrim folder

The most difficult problem was finding suitable parts from the Maplin catalogue. I don't have much knowledge of electronics but I've got there in the end. I now have a wired box with +/- speed, start and stop buttons. This box has another daisy-chained off it for another stop.

All imaged clickable for larger version...
The final remote boxes in use

The wiring at the headstock end. The cable leaving the terminal block on the left is standard computer network cable. The other cable is standard computer ribbon cable.

The headstock internals with the remote modification in place. To remove simple unplug the blue connector from the mod, remove the mod from the board and plug the blue connector back in it's place.

Bend back the metal plate that the control box used to screw in to

The wiring inside the remote - very straightforward.

If anyone wants to this this (and no doubt void their warranty - which is only 2 years on the electrics anyway - mine had expired) and would like more info then just ask.

Duncan[/b]

Interesting I spoke to record about the upgrades that Nova do. They are currently looking in to the feasibility and demand for the upgrade speed kit which gives the present programs to early DVR's and the remote switch. Because I move mine around a lot for demo's I think I would rather leave it but do feel the need for a remote switch when working with the out rigger an large items.

I discussed possible upgrades with Sorby at the Harrogate show at least once and I also spoke to them about it on the phone several times.
Each time the person said that they were continually asking Teknatool about the upgrade and the need for a remote control but were always told that they were working on it and to wait.

In my last contact with Teknatool they said...
'The upgraded interface you speak of should be available once the new
agency arrangements settle down.
We look forward to a much higher level of new product and options for
our customers in the UK.

Being realistic it will be later in the year before some of these
options can be introduced.'

I read on the MSN group that the remote will be wireless. This would be great but it will obviously push up the cost. Hopefully they'll bring out a couple of versions.

Back