Not Woodwork I know but Metalwork Lathe Wiring Please Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaco

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have just got a second hand Warco BV20 lathe and on getting it home I see there is a wire hanging out it comes from one side of the safety door switch, I know near to nothing about electrics and I was hoping someone here could tell me where it should go?

It is twin core and both wires are red in colour, I can't see anywhere obvious and I don't know if it should go to the main on / off switch on the lathe or the motor itself if so I can't see where?

Any help really appreciated...

Lee

061020100241600x1200.jpg

061020100251600x1200.jpg

Just a guess. There may have been a light overlooking or attached to the lathe that was removed but it worked when the switch was turned on.

Maybe check to see if the wire becomes hot when switch is on.
Just a thought.
Good luck

Travis

PS---I believe 9fingers is the go to man on electric

Thanks for the reply Travis but the lathes not working so I presume it must be more important than that?

Wish I was more bl**dy brainy

I have just been told from another forum it is from a chip guard which is a flap that you lower to protect yourself from the spinning chuck mine doesn't have one so I need to be able to override the safety switch that would turn off the lathe if the guard was lifted when it was running...

Any ideas?

Maybe just join the two wires?

Its likely that the cover and gaurd had similar micro switches, if you can confirm that the one on the cover is press to make then just joining the two wires together will in effect MAKE the circuit. I would try this first with the machine unpluged using a tester rather than risk anything with it on.

Jason

Where abouts in Somerset are you? I could have a look if I was going that way...

Aidan

Hi Lee
Looks like those wires are connected to a safety microswitch that is supposed to be activated by a door that protects the exposed gearing, it will disable the starting circuit if the door is open.

The switch is overrided by simply connecting the two wires together and insulating them (as they will be live when connected).

This should complete the circuit that activates the starting coil.

Now for the caveats....
It's there for a purpose, those gears are dangerous when revolving etc. etc. Shorting it out simply means you are ignoring the safety circuit so proceed with great care..

I worked in a factory as an electrician on over 1500 machines so this is quite familiar, but please proceed with caution. You are bypassing safety circuits and that is NOT recommended !

Ben

Hi Jason

Thanks for the advice mate I do have a tester but I have no idea how to test the lathe without power?

Hi Aidan

Seems from the other replies that connecting the wires will do the trick I'll try tomorrow and let you know your more than welcome here for a cuppa I live in Minehead...

Hi Ben

Thankyou for verifying the wiring connection I realise about guards but it's the E.U. forcing this on people nearly every workshop I've visited have these guards removed as they limit the lathe somewhat and at the end of the day we are adults and make these choices as adults.

seaco":3iu9vh5q said:
Hi Jason

Thanks for the advice mate I do have a tester but I have no idea how to test the lathe without power?

Hi Aidan

Seems from the other replies that connecting the wires will do the trick I'll try tomorrow and let you know your more than welcome here for a cuppa I live in Minehead...

Hi Ben

Thankyou for verifying the wiring connection I realise about guards but it's the E.U. forcing this on people nearly every workshop I've visited have these guards removed as they limit the lathe somewhat and at the end of the day we are adults and make these choices as adults.

Minehead's a long way out my way but thanks for the offer. You may be an adult but mistakes happen, personally, as a professional engineer, I'd not turn the motor over without the guard on, those gears are lethal.

Aidan

TheTiddles":37qbmzhp said:
seaco":37qbmzhp said:
Hi Jason

Hi Aidan

Hi Ben

Minehead's a long way out my way but thanks for the offer. You may be an adult but mistakes happen, personally, as a professional engineer, I'd not turn the motor over without the guard on, those gears are lethal.

Aidan

Hi Aidan

As far as I can tell the gear cover switch is there and will function it's the chuck guard cover and switch that are missing...

I suspect that you are correct in assuming that the wires are related to the chuck guard.
As it is a current model, why not give Warco a call for a wiring diagram/manual so you can be sure.
They are are quite a helpful bunch.

I will be in Minehead on 22nd Oct but not sure if I will have time to call in. Let me know if you are still stuck after talking to Warco.

Bob

9fingers":3du0812c said:
I suspect that you are correct in assuming that the wires are related to the chuck guard.
As it is a current model, why not give Warco a call for a wiring diagram/manual so you can be sure.
They are are quite a helpful bunch.

I will be in Minehead on 22nd Oct but not sure if I will have time to call in. Let me know if you are still stuck after talking to Warco.

Bob

Thanks for that Bob I will give Warco themselves a try and get back here with the answer...

OK all sorted now wires just needed joining!
Thanks for all the help lads...

Back