Not Turning.. but a really cool thing to see ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenx

Established Member
Reaction score
Siorrachd Obar Dheathain , ALBA & Now Botesd
As mentioned elsewhere ...
Was off doing a bit of fishing this evening -- nothing unusual in that, --
but my dog started going nuts at the end of one of the stone walls that are built out into the water ....

I was waded out, only a few feet away and to my absolute surprise and delight... look what was nestling under the end few stones !
this is about 30 yards out into the water.. and you can see, its only about 1-stone wide ... incredible !
Imagine the wee fella getting himself out there, and nesting-up !
He didn't take kindly to the dog, or indeed the camera, so I didn't bother him for too long. !
I just wanted to share this... never been 18" away from one of these before ! ( Click them for big versions, as usual ! )

I think its a stoat.
Felt quite priviledged to see one that close. 8)
Hope you don't mind me sharing this with you :wink:

Absolutely super pics, Jenx - thanks for posting them. How big was he? Can't tell from the pics and and we can't see the end of his tail (black tail tip will positively identify him as a stoat) If he was pretty small (medium rat sized) probably a weasel - if he was large rat to rabbit sized he'd be a stoat.

I watched a stoat for several minutes this winter one day when it was very very cold. He was about 1 meter from my kitchen window, eating peanuts dropped by the birds under my bird feeder (I think he might have been after a small bird or two, but they were much too canny to be caught!) Of course by the time I thought to go and get the camera the farm dog had wandered by and the stoat fled rather rapidly.

tekno.mage

Thats nice really really nice Jenx,lovely healthy little fella. He's probley saying to himself, why is it I never have me camera with me when one of these are around :lol: :lol: .Nice start to a Sunday morn Thank you. REgards Boysie.

TM, I think he'd a black tail-tip ....
At a guess, I'd say he was about 8" of body, and the tail maybe another 4 or 5 inches on top of that.
He'd a really vocal "Screech" with him and lightening fast lunges, when the dog disturbed him first.
Lovely honey-coloured fur as the main colouration too.

He was great. ! We recorded in the loch-diary in the syndicate caravan that we'd seen him ... everyone in the 35 members records observations which is good to look back on, and gives a real insight into whats happening in and around the water. There's regular otters seen, the Deer, Foxes, and the Osprey puts in an appearance now and again to 'poach a fish or two', but we'll allow him that !

Great to see the wee stoat / weasel though.. he was very entertaining !
:D :D :D

Nice photos Jenx! stoat or weasle. well you know what they say
'A Weasle is weasly recognised, but a Stoat is stotally different' :oops: .... I'll get me coat!

mrs. sliver":3u75badx said:
Nice photos Jenx! stoat or weasle. well you know what they say
'A Weasle is weasly recognised, but a Stoat is stotally different' :oops: .... I'll get me coat!
:lol: :lol:

Back