Not Quite a Car Boot Haul – But I think they were bargains

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ossieosborne

Established Member
Reaction score
I found these two items in a Woburn antique shop:

Henry Disston 26”, 7 TPI Saw

Saw Long View.JPG

Saw Closeup Motiff.JPG

Saw Handle Closeup.JPG

Saw Crud Closeup.JPG

There is a little bit of rust pitting but nothing detrimental and doesn't even need sharpening.

Stanley Bailey No7

Stanley Side View.JPG

Stanley No7 Motiff.JPG

Stanley USA.JPG

Stanley Iron and Plate.JPG

Stanley Paint on Front Handle.JPG

Stanley Dirty Frog.JPG

The sole appears to be flat (with a straight edge) and there is no damage, cracks or anything. So, it just needs a bit of a clean up, remove the paint and sharpen the blade. The tag on it in the shop had the date 1968. I don't know if that is accurate.

btw the saw was £5 and the plane £20.

Oz

Attachments

• Saw Long View.JPG
    Saw Long View.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,517
  • Saw Closeup Motiff.JPG
    Saw Closeup Motiff.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,517
  • Saw Handle Closeup.JPG
    Saw Handle Closeup.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,517
  • Saw Crud Closeup.JPG
    Saw Crud Closeup.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 1,517
  • Stanley Side View.JPG
    Stanley Side View.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,517
  • Stanley No7 Motiff.JPG
    Stanley No7 Motiff.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,517
  • Stanley USA.JPG
    Stanley USA.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,517
  • Stanley Paint on Front Handle.JPG
    Stanley Paint on Front Handle.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,517
  • Stanley Iron and Plate.JPG
    Stanley Iron and Plate.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,517
  • Stanley Dirty Frog.JPG
    Stanley Dirty Frog.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,517
Indeed total bargains, especially the no7 plane. Looks like both will clean up a treat.

Amazing bargains I would say!!!

Those No.7 from the USA are the end of the best...not the oldest you can get but nicer than the new rubbish.

I'd say that's about £60-70 right there. No idea about the Disston...those things go from 50p to thousands and I am sure there are much greater experts on these than me.

Jim

I think you've saved enough to treat yourself to a new blade for the no 7 - well done!

ossieosborne":2vo64ij9 said:
The tag on it in the shop had the date 1968. I don't know if that is accurate.

btw the saw was £5 and the plane £20.
The patent date on the back of the lever-cap suggests type #16, which is also the last model to be bereft of raised rib around toe and heel, and the first model that had that shape of frog.

So: type #16 from the mid to late 1930s (and the model upon which Stanley UK based it's English Stanleys when they began production in 1936/37).

Well done.

Cheers, Vann.

phil.p":14rj31kv said:
Someone will doubtless correct me, but I remember decades ago being told that Canadian Disstons were garbage.

Sounds like (massive) overstatement. They're not as good as "golden age" Disstons, but they're still good saws.

BugBear

bugbear":1fb24gfd said:
phil.p":1fb24gfd said:
Someone will doubtless correct me, but I remember decades ago being told that Canadian Disstons were garbage.

Sounds like (massive) overstatement. They're not as good as "golden age" Disstons, but they're still good saws.

BugBear

Indeed...!

Bit like...a Bentley's not as good as a Roller! :mrgreen:

J

phil.p":2ex4a3xj said:

IMHO The apparent lack of faith in Canadian Disston was more to do with the difference in grip contouring than saw plate or edge retention quality. I could honestly saw the same regarding the grip quality on examples by Sandvik, et al, but many seemed to forget grips were timbered almost equally for the sake of adjustability and balance.

Back