Not a posh tool cabinet but very satisfactory

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave D

Established Member
Reaction score
This post is just a confirmation of the excellence of the basic design being used by Lord Nibbo.
Mine was made from whatever wood I could find in my workshop plus some ply panels from B&Q.

I was worried about carrying all that weight on the wall so I used a stand to take the weight which also holds Sainsbury's plastic boxes for storing tools like electric drills.
I haven't finished fitting it out yet but already my workbench seems twice as big since it is no longer covered with tools left there from previous jobs.
3250415392_a1b31833c8.jpg

3250414802_3396c53dba.jpg

Looks good to me. :) The good thing about working with cheaper materials is that it won't cost you a lot of money to chop and change things to accommodate future tool purchases and changes to your initial design. :wink:

Looks good to me Dave.
Is that a Record compass plane in there? How do you find it? I got one the other day and am finding her hard work. Maybe it's just me....

I am now considering a tool cabinet, trouble is I would want to put it in the house!!!! (security) All my tool storage is metal cabinets bolted to the brickwork and padlocked etc.... It's the only way I sleep at night!

Are you planning on putting any sort of lock on it? Would there be any point? (not casting aspersions on your handiwork, just wondering about the ply)

Cheers

Neil

very nice, that's exactly the sort of thing I'll end up with.

Hello Neil
Yes That is a compass plane, A Record, which I bought new about 20 years ago.
If I remember rightly it cost around £60 which was a fortune for me at the time.
I needed it to make some Krenov style coopered doors.
I don't use it often but when you need one it is the only thing that will do.

There are no locks on the doors of the cabinet just some flat sliding bolts to keep them closed (B&Q again).
I would imagine that if burglars were to get past the deadlocks and alarms then the sight of a lock might attract them to the contents.

Thanks for mentioning the hinges. I forgot to explain why I did not use piano hinges.
I was worried that piano hinges and screws might not hold the weight of fully loaded doors. (probably unnecessarily since others have used them OK)
Then I found some large brassed steel butt hinges with removable pins.
These mean that the doors can easily be lifted off for fitting extra features and the whole thing was easier to assemble in the first place.
I also used through bolts rather than screws for the hinges.
Overkill again maybe but I hate having to redo a job.

Well Dave.
It's posh enough for me =D> =D>
As far as piano hinges go, if you've' ever lifted a piano lid off the piano,
you would not have had any concerns about the strength of the hinge. :D

John. B

Dave
I like your way of thinking; I am the same in as much as I really do tend to overdo it, for fear of it going wrong. Which is all good until it affects the aesthetics of the piece. Which it hasn't with yours, bubt I have some doors on cabinets in the WS that look like they belong on fort knox!

Interesting way of thinking - do I put locks on all the cabinets to secure them, and risk drawing attention to them, or leave well alone and hope they get missed in the event of a break-in. I have 2 noisy alarms and a grand total of 9 padlocks on the doors in the WS. I have often thought, as I lock the 4 on the main door at night, that the sound of 4 padlocks being locked would make anyone think ' what has he got in there?? '

Anyway, I've got a 4poster bed to finish!! seriously!!

Neil

Hey great minds must think alike it's very very similar to mine, we must be doing it right. :lol: Yours looks deeper than mine though, mine is 7 1/2" inside not counting the doors, what's yours? I hope I haven't boobed :shock:

Thats a fine looking cabinet, I like the drawers, I seem to favor drawers over open area's, espeically for the smaller fiddly stuff that has a propensity to easily get knocked out of a cabinet with larger tools.

The cabinet is 12 inches inside depth (with 4.5 inches for the doors.)
this was to allow all my small hand planes to fit as in the photos.
the planes are separated by strips of wood so that each plane is held snugly in its own place. Each new acquisition can therefore be fitted alongside its companions by fitting another strip. Similarly for the vertical planes although they will need a wooden turn catch to stop them from falling out.
I thought that this would be more easily expandable for when I get a complete set of Karl Holtey's masterpieces after winning the lottery, but of course it makes the cabinet 5 inches deeper which could be a problem in confined spaces.

Latest posts

Back