Northampton chap needs help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covert

Reaction score
Hello folks , have tried to contact my local club but haven't had a response yet, so am trying on here.
First of all apologies if im breaking any rules , feel free to move this or delete as necessary, planned on pm,ing a mod but realise i cant do that until ive made 3 posts.

Im restoring a milling machine a need some round ball knobs turning up for me , would someone be so kind as to do this for me ? Obviously i would pay for time/materials, would rather give my money to a local chap than a "company"

Anyway hope somebody can help
All the best Mark.

rileytoolworks":152vow4y said:
What size and maetrials Mark?
do they need boring to fix to (presumably) handles?
How soon do you need them?

Adam.

Hi Adam thanks for the reply,

There are 5 in total,4 the same and one larger, materials up to you but something hard and if it looks nice even better
Tried to post a pic but i dont have suffucient permission .

Measurement wise the small ones are 38mm across 34mm high , with a bore of 10mm and the top countersunk part goes in 3mm

The large one is 44mm across , 42mm high , again a bore of 10mm , and top countersunk goes in 2mm ,

Best thing is for me to let whoever makes them , copy these ones so you have something to work with .
Timescale , whenever , machine is about 6 months away from being finished.
Thanks Mark.

screwpainting":z2c3smqu said:
How about a golf ball as a nob

:eek: :eek: :eek: :lol:

... but you're right, I've seen this done on a drill press and they are nicer to grab onto than the factory fitted ones.

If you want wood, you can still probably get them off the shelf. Our local hardware shop has a range of sizes, in beech, sold for putting on the ends of curtain poles, for not much money at all. You might need to adjust the holes to suit, by boring and use of epoxy or two part filler.

I'd have a go at it for you - what sort of wood do you think they are? If it's a metric thread you'd be able to put an insert in them but if it's very old and an unusual thread then maybe not. Could possibly do something with embedding a nut of the correct thread in them I suppose.

Back