Nomenclature for hole direction?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inventor

Established Member
Reaction score
I was trying to describe the direction to drill a hole - into end grain, through grain from bark to pith, tangential to growth rings...

It strikes me that someone is bound to have defined a neat way of describing this. Are there recognised terms for these various directions?

Is there a standard mathematical description (some form of polar coordinates?) for a vector in wood grain?

Thanks!

There is nomenclature (based on a tree being cylindrical) that is used in wood anatomy and comprises three principal axes: longitudinal, radial and tangential. To put this into context, quarter sawn boards show a radial face or section, flat sawn boards show the tangential face (or section) and end grain will show a longitudinal face (or section).

It can be confusing at first but, eg, if you drill into the tangential face you are drilling radially whereas drilling the radial face would be described as drilling tangentially etc. Hope this helps and if not I can try to elaborate...

on the grappa so early Dom :roll: :lol:

actually why do you need to explain it in such a way??

surely it depends on the wood you are using at the time.

paul :wink:

bjm":h1u3464s said:
There is nomenclature (based on a tree being cylindrical) that is used in wood anatomy and comprises three principal axes: longitudinal, radial and tangential. To put this into context, quarter sawn boards show a radial face or section, flat sawn boards show the tangential face (or section) and end grain will show a longitudinal face (or section)...

If I drill parallel to a longitudinal axis, I'm drilling into end grain.
If I drill along a radial axis, I'm drilling from bark to pith.
If I drill along a tangential axis, I'm drilling...along a tangent :)
OK?

BUT!
bjm":h1u3464s said:
...if you drill into the tangential face you are drilling radially whereas drilling the radial face would be described as drilling tangentially etc...

To produce a tangential face, I cut with a tangential axis sitting in the plane of the saw.
To produce a radial face, I cut with a radial axis sitting in the plane of the saw.
To produce a longitudinal face, I cut with... actually, without a longitudinal axis sitting in the plane of the saw.

Do I have that right? That does sound weird!
Thanks!

It sounds like you have it. It can be confusing but if you keep in mind the idea of a cylinder (and the terminology) it makes sense....after a while!

To clarify your last point; a radial or tangential section is technically also a longitudinal section and is commonly referred to as tangential longitudinal section (TLS) or radial longitudinal section (RLS). The cut that shows the growth rings is called a transverse section (TS).

This diagram may help.

Brian

bjm":1a2ipooq said:
...To put this into context, quarter sawn boards show a radial face or section, flat sawn boards show the tangential face (or section) and end grain will show a longitudinal face (or section)...

Ah, that seems different from This diagram. A crosscut produces a "transversal section" (Why not transverse?) and not a longitudinal section.

To produce a tangential face, I cut with a tangential axis sitting in the plane of the saw.
To produce a radial face, I cut with a radial axis sitting in the plane of the saw.
To produce a transversal face, I cut with a longitudinal axis sitting normal to the plane of the saw.

OK?

That was my 'deliberate mistake to make sure you're paying attention' ploy - well spotted. The question is - is this any help?

Brian

Back