Nigel's Planter (Number 5) - Fairly picture heavy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanscombe

Established Member
Reaction score
Not up to the quality of most of the projects on here but thought I would like to share rather than lurk (for a change).

It all started in Sketchup. I came up with a design and added a little colour to represent each different sized piece of timber. I added about 5mm to each end so I could flush up the joints after I'd finished.

Planters00302Colour by nanscombe, on Flickr

Now the real work starts with a delivery of 34x34 softwood from Wickes.

Planter 05 (001-02027043) by nanscombe, on Flickr

All cut to size for the various components.

Planter 05 (001-02027044) by nanscombe, on Flickr

Central frame built.

Planter 05 (001-02027053) by nanscombe, on Flickr

Added the end frames.

Planter 05 (001-02027059) by nanscombe, on Flickr

Time to build the rear frame...

Planter 05 (001-02027064) by nanscombe, on Flickr

... and another for the front.

Planter 05 (001-02027069) by nanscombe, on Flickr

Now to mask up and get some paint on.

Planter 05 (001-02027080) by nanscombe, on Flickr

That's the main framework painted.

Planter 05 (001-02027083) by nanscombe, on Flickr

Infill panels made from shiplap timber.

Planter 05 (001-02027086) by nanscombe, on Flickr

All painted and just a separator / handle to go across the centre to be made.

Photo 27-05-2013 19 43 41 by nanscombe, on Flickr

I hope this looks Ok.

Looking good so far and great to see all those half-lap joints, did you use hand tools or power tools for them?

A couple of pointers: Whats the overhanging bit on your design sketch-up? If it's a seat, my guess it may need a little more support from underneath. Also, it may have been worthwhile staining your shiplap or at least the tongues prior to fitting, as overtime the boarding may move and bear softwood may appear.

joiner_sim":3podkb8p said:
Looking good so far and great to see all those half-lap joints, did you use hand tools or power tools for them?
Gentleman's saw plus a cutting / marking jig to get the correct length for the half-laps. Followed by a small router plane (Old woman's tooth) and another jig to ensure the consistency of the half-lap depth.

A couple of pointers: Whats the overhanging bit on your design sketch-up? If it's a seat, my guess it may need a little more support from underneath.
No, not a seat. Just a removable slatted shelf for plant pots to sit on, one in each side.

They've been built to work in two configurations:

2 x 5 x 6" pots

Planter 05 (001-02027070) by nanscombe, on Flickr

6 x planting boxes

Planter 05 (001-02027071) by nanscombe, on Flickr

Also, it may have been worthwhile staining your shiplap or at least the tongues prior to fitting, as overtime the boarding may move and bear softwood may appear.
The infill panels were just placed in loose for the photo. They were stained before fitting and secured in place with small brass screws.

Here's one, of a earlier design using pocket hole joinery, with the pots in. The flowers will bush out and cover the landscape fabric on the frame holding the pots in position.

20120511_124324 by nanscombe, on Flickr

Back