NHS and politicians

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":297m3xum said:
i read a letter in the press a while back from a guy who was working on the N.H.S. I.T. systems, he said he was the only person in an office of 20+ people (all on well over £100,000 p.a.) who actually had any medical knowledge.
My sister worked for H.Packard in N.Z. and Aus. dealing with healthcare computer systems, and likewise she was the only person in her department who had medical qualifications - other people spent ages working on a problem, only for her to look at it and say "great idea, but it won't work" and then go on to explain why.
I was talking to a guy late one night who wrote computer progs. for motor factors, and he said he really liked what he was doing, and that he was making a very good living doing it - he had no trouble selling the progs. because they worked well. They worked well, because he had spent several years selling motor spares before he went into programming.
Just because someone can write a computer programme doesn't mean it will actually work.

Phil...you don;t need to have any medical knowledge to program an IT system. You DO need stakeholders....people who DO have medical knowledge who can articulate what their requirements are and you need someone...the systems analyst or business analyst who is able to interpret them. You also need decent project management and exceedingly good change management.

Reggie":2gs8qpnh said:
I don't doubt that there are companies that don't know what they're doing with IT and health, that's why you have competent people draw up plans in the first place and employ people that do know what they're doing. £12.7bn wasted on IT, there had better be someone to blame.

That one is easy.

Blair.

Harbo":dq6ierih said:
What should have happened was that this (or other tried and tested systems) should have been rolled out gradually to other hospitals/Areas.
Then once fully operational, access to each hospital etc could have been linked together?

Rod

In principle, what you are suggesting makes sense. However, it could well have been that the IT infrastructure/programs/database used by your hospital was not scalable to the size of the NHS. That would have been a very valid reason for not adopting it.

The basic premise (being able to walk into any NHS outlet and being able to access ones details) was flawed.

Expecting to access the same information from any nhs outlet is not flawed, it's not an aspirational thing, it's something that should just be happening already, there are plenty of systems rolled out countrywide that give us access to all manner of complex information.

Jacob":1zrbcqp7 said:
Interesting article here about how NHS dissatisfactions are being exploited and very probably not to our advantage.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013 ... y-lobbying

Not sure what point you're trying to make, Jacob. After reading the article, I don't really see how "NHS dissatisfactions are being exploited". It just seems to be a leaked document with some rather bland statements like "59% of the population don't mind whether healthcare is delivered by private enterprise or public service as long as everyone gets the best available care" (which just seems like a pragmatic statement of the blindingly obvious, connected to a randomly generated percentage number). Then there are some of the usual political soundbites which mean about as much as most political soundbites. The usual Westminster Bubble arguments about practically nothing.

Where's the 'exploitation'?

Cheshirechappie":2grxxej2 said:
Jacob":2grxxej2 said:
Interesting article here about how NHS dissatisfactions are being exploited and very probably not to our advantage.

Not sure what point you're trying to make, Jacob. After reading the article, I don't really see how "NHS dissatisfactions are being exploited". It just seems to be a leaked document with some rather bland statements like "59% of the population don't mind whether healthcare is delivered by private enterprise or public service as long as everyone gets the best available care" (which just seems like a pragmatic statement of the blindingly obvious, connected to a randomly generated percentage number). Then there are some of the usual political soundbites which mean about as much as most political soundbites. The usual Westminster Bubble arguments about practically nothing.

Jacobland?

Cheshirechappie":2gvfb91o said:
The exploitation comes after creating a climate of dissatisfaction (with the help of the media esp. the Daily Moan) and so reducing resistance to privatisation. Given a boost by cack handed re-organisations, tightened budgets, blame culture etc etc.
Run the thing down, denigrate and demoralise the staff, flog it off, flog off the assets, get taxpayers money to run an inefficient private sector service at much greater cost. When they go bust more taxpayers money goes to bail them out. Gravy train!
Lobbyists do this sort of thing for a living. Look how effective they have been on the booze and nicotine front recently. "Unpaid" parliamentary advisers getting mega bucks from the companies they lobby for. It's blatantly obvious that Lynton Crosby (and the others) have no interest in democratic politics for the public good. At least union lobbyists represent a fair chunk of the working population, not just distant big businesses and shareholders.

Jacob":1fc3pkpf said:
..... At least union lobbyists represent a fair chunk of the working population, not just distant big businesses and shareholders.

Bull.

'Fair chunk'.....since when did 'fair chunk' mean 20% of the employed?

I'll ignore the rest of your ramblings. Took you off Ignore...wish I hadn't.

@Jacob:

I cannot disagree with at least some (even most?) of your conclusions here Jacob, but to suggest that "union lobbyists" are always only out for the good of their members????????

Well, you're either extremely naive or you're lamentably ill-informed. There are many, many well-documented cases where "union lobbyists" have not proven to be any less selfless than the political lobbyists (and politicians) you complain about.

I suggest that by now you should really have started to learn (assuming you're anything more than about 6 years old) that this world of ours is not just a case of blacks and whites (whichever house you cast your various protagonists into)!

If you are reacting true to well-established form (at least on this Forum Jacob), then you will either post a reply of "rubbish", or, even better, not post a reply to this at all!

AES

Jacob":1wxfd8pg said:
Cheshirechappie":1wxfd8pg said:
The exploitation comes after creating a climate of dissatisfaction (with the help of the media esp. the Daily Moan) and so reducing resistance to privatisation. Given a boost by cack handed re-organisations, tightened budgets, blame culture etc etc.
Run the thing down, denigrate and demoralise the staff, flog it off, flog off the assets, get taxpayers money to run an inefficient private sector service at much greater cost. When they go bust more taxpayers money goes to bail them out. Gravy train!
Lobbyists do this sort of thing for a living. Look how effective they have been on the booze and nicotine front recently. "Unpaid" parliamentary advisers getting mega bucks from the companies they lobby for. It's blatantly obvious that Lynton Crosby (and the others) have no interest in democratic politics for the public good. At least union lobbyists represent a fair chunk of the working population, not just distant big businesses and shareholders.

"....creating a climate of dissatisfaction...." - Jacob, we've had the Maidstone scandal, the Mid Staffs scandal, the Redditch scandal, the care of the elderly scandal, the West Cumbria scandal and most recently the 'up to 13000 unnecessary deaths across 14 NHS Trusts' scandal. There's no need to create a climate of dissatifaction, because the NHS clearly isn't universally as good as it should be. Staff are demoralised already, there's no need to demoralise them further. Quite the reverse, in fact.

What politicians SHOULD be doing, on our behalf, is not having stupid political arguments about who said what when. They should be co-operating to find out WHY the NHS isn't as universally good as it should be, and doing something about setting things right.

I moved house in 2005, and consequently had to register with a new dentist. It was difficult finding an NHS dentist willing to take new patients at that time, but I found one. A few months later, said dentist decided to go private (as many did in 2006, following changes made to NHS dental contracts by the DofH.) Not wishing to go through the rigmarole of finding yet another dentist, I signed up for private dental insurance, though not particularly willingly at the time. Best thing I ever did, dentally. The standards of care by the same dentist and hygenists, in the same clinic, are markedly better than anything I've ever had from the NHS. Private care, when it's done properly, does work very well, I've found.

The same may well be true for other parts of the NHS. Opposing private sector involvement out of blinkered political ideology may well be condemning us to the worst sort of Eastern Bloc mediocrity, because such an organisation has no incentive to 'serve' anybody but it's own interests.

I don't care how healthcare is delivered, provided everybody has access to good care when they need it. I think my attitude is not untypical of the population at large. Until the whole of the political establishment accepts that and acts in OUR interests, we're going to carry on with healthcare provision which is sometimes grossly sub-standard. Silly political side-shows aimed at suppressing the facts about what the NHS is delivering don't, in the end, help either you or me.

Similarly, sweeping statements that Lynton Crosby (or Len McCluskey, or Mark Serwotka, or Uncle Tom Cobbley) 'have no interest in democratic politics for the public good' just obscure the search for actual facts, and a measured debate about those facts. It's the kind of political discourse that's utterly beneath you, but sadly prevalent among some discussing politics.

Jacob, do you think that the scandals I outlined above (Mid Staffs, Redditch, 13,000 unnecessary deaths etc etc) should be debated properly, or ignored? Are they acceptable in a publicly provided service?

For example - Unison has about 1.3 million members. Lobbying for that many people seems to be not only democratic but essential and very likely to benefit a much greater number of working people with roughly the same interests. More the better!
Lynton Crosby is a lobbyist for tobacco industry which kills more people than all the other dangerous drugs and alcohol put together. Or in other words - a murderous parasite at the heart of government.
PS The tobacco industries impact on public health has been far more disastrous than say, the Taliban, Al qaeda and the IRA put together - just to get it into perspective!

....Jacob, do you think that the scandals I outlined above (Mid Staffs, Redditch, 13,000 unnecessary deaths etc etc) should be debated properly, or ignored? Are they acceptable in a publicly provided service?..
Yes of course they should be debated properly and are not acceptable. My point is that the responsibility or these things ultimately rests with the DH and Hunt, who contrive to distract attention by blaming any/everybody else ("culture of cruelty" amongst nurses!! etc). Your dental problems are due to withdrawal of support for NHS dentistry and the politicos are responsible for this, not the "system", or the dentists.

Jacob, if you'd been following the health debate at all, you'd know that many of the scandals outlined above arose precisely because there seems to have developed a 'culture of cruelty' (or at least, a 'culture of indifference') among some (not all) nurses. We also know that whistleblowers highlighting problems were routinely dismissed, with or without large payoffs and gagging clauses), rather than have their complaints investigated. Blaming Hunt doesn't wash, since some of the incidents outlined in the recently published reports went back to 2005.

The Labour party are currently very wary of using Unite as a battering ram, since it was disclosed that about 30% of Unite members are conservative voters. There's also the scandal of Unite members being signed up as Labour party members without their knowledge, so that their block vote could be used to elect Unite officials as parlimentary candidates. Lobbying arguments cut both ways.

It's true that responsibility for addressing the problem lies with Hunt. I don't have much confidence in his sorting them out, but I have even less confidence in a Labour Health Secretary sorting them out, precisely because the Unions wouldn't allow it. Remember the 1970s and British Leyland? That didn't end well, did it?

Jacob":19g93ez6 said:

It would seem that the Guardian article quoted above may have contained some errors. The presentation was made to MPs of all parties, not to private healthcare providers. It was organised, not by Lynton Crosby, but by Westminster Advisers, a lobbying company headed by a Blairite Labour supporter, Dominic Church.

http://order-order.com/2013/07/22/crosb ... n-commons/

Well researched, Cheshire Chappie. You can always rely on the Guardian to provide well researched, totally unbiased opinion and articles.

As a slight aside, we all know that the Guardian bangs on and on about privacy etc. Well, I have a cookie tracking blocker on my browser that blocks tracking cookies and tells me how many on each page of a site as I browse. Most websites have around 3-5. The Guardian max'd out at 14 ! So much for integrity. Mr Guardian.

Cheshirechappie":z2fw31qi said:
Jacob":z2fw31qi said:

It would seem that the Guardian article quoted above may have contained some errors. The presentation was made to MPs of all parties, not to private healthcare providers. It was organised, not by Lynton Crosby, but by Westminster Advisers, a lobbying company headed by a Blairite Labour supporter, Dominic Church.

http://order-order.com/2013/07/22/crosb ... n-commons/
Guido Fawkes and some sleazebag Blairite labour MP don't make much difference to the general drift. Drug pushers and NHS asset strippers. We'd be better off with Abu Qatada lobbying from the inside. Come back beardy - all is forgiven!

It's clearly a problem that the NHS is used to promote agendas, I'm constantly wary of all media outlets, Jacob probably thinks I'm a mail reader (this isn't a dig at you Jacob), in actual fact, I don't read newspapers at all as a first source of information, if a story interests me then I'll visit various web outlets to get a range of opinions on the story before I form any kind of opinion.

One thing that has come from this discussion though is that we all want the same thing, a working NHS. The biggest battle for all of us will be getting people to stop polarising around public vs private. Once the 2 factions stop fighting each other and work together then we'll all move forwards. I think that's something that has been seen in practice in the coalition, almost, something I'd like to see more of between all 3 parties, government should be inclusive, not exclusive. It may seem rose tinted but I firmly believe that working together for positive outcomes is far more productive than fighting against each other for negative results.

Back