Newbie seeks guidance and advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escudo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have acquired a small second hand mini lathe (jet jml 1014).

The lathe does not have a chuck and I do not have any chisels.

Firstly, are these chisels from Robert Sorby a good starter set?

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Prod ... uctID=6525

Secondly, which chuck should I go for?

I would like to buy quality items on the basis that I will in all events upgrade the lathe in the future.

Members thoughts and recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks, fellas. Esc.

Welcome to another slippery slope.

Sorby tools are good. Don't know if you would need all these or whether the price is good without checking on their individual prices. As far as chucks is concerned check what your thread size is and then either look at the supanova or the axminster range. I'm sure others will come on here with their advice before long. look forward to seeingyour work

Pete

Hello,slippery slope greaser here.. :lol:

Chisels - anything from Robert Sorby,Ashley Isles,Crown,Record,Henry Taylor etc. (HSS being the important bit) will be okay ; the particular set is a good starter set for spindle work,and you could add a bowl gouge if you want to venture into bowl turning.

Chucks - Axminster are good (I have the K10),as are Supernova and Versachuck;I also like the look of the new Robert Sorby "Patriot" chuck.

There's a couple of ideas for you - as with most things,there is no one definitive answer,just varying degrees of personal preference.. :wink:

Andrew

In the early stage you could get by with a 1/4" spindle gouge and a 3/8" bowl gouge... an alternative to the latter would be Ashley Iles 'all rounder'

Add tools only when you need them... for need read 'going to use them'

Beware of 'shiny tool syndrome'

Thanks fellas for the advice.

The chap I have bought the lathe from has offered some guidance and I will take his council when I collect the machine. I will report back.

I would like to have a go at some small bowls and maybe a small table lamp. I think it would be good to get some formal training before making a start.

Cheers, Esc.

Escudo":ujp1uq6u said:
I think it would be good to get some formal training before making a start.

Cheers, Esc.

I've heard there's a nice bloke near Peterborough :wink: - just click on the "WWW" button on the post above yours..... :whistle:

Andrew

Latest posts

Back