Newbie saying hello

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.Tryer

Reaction score
Good evening everyone.
Been reading threads on this and the General forums for a couple of weeks now and found them so interesting and informative.
I've finally got a shed that I can set up how I want it and start to do something a bit more creative than building planters for the garden!!!
First creative purchase was a second hand Hegner single speed, late 1980s model but brought for just over £100.
I absolutely love it, the hours just disappear when I'm in my shed now.
Mainly been trying some of Steve Good's templates with some of my own tweaks to suit my purpose.
Just been experimenting with cheap plywood at the moment but one present brought my mother to tears (of joy hopefully?)

I will try and post some pics of my better pieces in my next post

Hello and welcome.

You'll find a lot of experience here and if there is anything you want to know, someone should be able to help you.

Its wonderful being able to make gifts for people, especially personalised gifts, and Steve Good's web site has loads of things to get you and keep you going.

Besides plywood, you might want to try cutting some things out of 3/4" pine. Readily available at B&Q and the like. Pine is a softwood, cuts easily, looks good when varnished or stained, is widely available and is much cheaper than hardwoods like oak, beech and maple etc. Its great to practice with and will produce good results. Eventually you can use some hardwoods like oak for special projects but a lot of us started out making things like pull-along ducks and elephants etc.

Regarding your shed/workshop. Keep it a 'happy place' and the sort of place that you 'want' to go to. If its cold, damp, messy and uninviting you won't want to go out there and when you 'have to' to finish that present for Sunday you'll rush it, make mistakes and apologize that you could have finished it better. This could lead to despondency and a lack of interest in new projects - all because your 'happy place' wasn't any more. Keep it happy and you'll want to go out there, whatever the weather and will make a good job of all your projects.

Take care and good luck

Barry

Welcome to the forum, I 'm sure you will enjoy scrolling----here is a couple of bits made by recycled 25 mm ply,
Can be hard to cut and blunts the blade , but at least it's free

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 899
Back