Newbie router table questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicknoxx

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make some architrave to match existing ,so I've bought a Dakota Router table from Rutlands.

The surface of the table has a few chips in the surface, some of which have been 'covered up' with a tippex type material. Is this acceptable?

The insert isn't flat. On it's own there's a dip of about 1mm in the middle but with a heavy router hanging off it this increases to about 2mm. Is this normal or acceptable?

The mdf fence cheeks (for want of a better description) are not perfectly aligned and a small shim would improve the situation. Where can I find such a thing?

Finally, which direction should I feed material in?

Thanks all

Hi Nick,

First, I would send the table back. Router table inserts are normally crowned slightly and should not be concave.

Second (don't take offence), If you don't know which direction to feed the stock, you need to do some reading into use and safety on a router table, before you even touch it. Like most power tools they can bite if you don't know what you are doing.

Start here

Send it back as slim says it should have a crown to it not a dip.

Buy a book or a dvd, routers can be very dangerous if you dont know what your doing.

Rutlands have agreed to send me a new insert - which is good.

I read all I could last night and sucessfully made enough architrave for a door frame today - woo hoo

Thanks both

Nick

I cut shims from a old tape measure. It might be a bit too coarse for what you're after but if you have one gathering dust it might do the job.

Finally, which direction should I feed material in?

The basic rule is to feed in the opposite direction to the movement of the cutting edge.

The reverse is called 'climb milling' when the work can possibly be snatched from your hands.

Back