Newbie itching to get scrolling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you're enjoying yourself, Tanya :) .

As you might have detected from other recent threads, most AWFS/Hegner users find that replacing the top clamp with a Hegner 'Quick Release Clamp' helps to speed up blade changing. They're available from HegnerUK and aren't too pricey.

Keep your first few projects - they'll be handy benchmarks to measure the standard of your work as you progress, no matter how you might feel about showing them other people.

Gill

Guess what? They're already on order :eek:
Thinking I might get a foot pedal at some point too, as i am very used to operating a sewing machine it seems to be the obvious way to go.
Still waiting for my books to arrive so a bit stuck for an easy project to do.
Been checking out the hoard of cross stitch books I have for some inspiration. I have already made a pattern for a shadow picture of my dog but I think that'll be a bit too ambitious to start with..he's very hairy, too many fine lines and sharp corners.....maybe I'll try and make a simplified version.
Gotta go can hear Scrolley calling.

Alan- AKA The Woodman":1toyt7sr said:
Hi tanyabub....

You've already been given some good advice but before you buy, have a look as what I consider to be possibly the best value budget saw around at the moment.
This new Rexon VS4003A model has features only normally found on more expensive models which makes it very tempting for a newcomer.
Quick blade changing top clamp as standard plus top-mounted controls are fast becoming the 'norm' and this is one machine that is up to date with those features.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...ncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=rexon+scroll&x=0&y=0

You have thrown a spanner in the works AKA The woodman :? :) I was all set to purchase the Sip Scroll saw from Toolstation. Now I have noticed the rexon :? :? Im totally lost as to which one to purchase. Is there a big difference or should I just toss a coin. Cheers

Be daring - buy the Rexon and tell us what it's like!

:tool:

Gill

Hello,
I believe your Axminster is a Hegner clone?? If so then a Hegner Manual might help. One can be downloaded from:-

http://www.advmachinery.com/manuals/H-manual.pdf

or just Google Hegner Manual.

Hope it helps,
Bob H.

p.s. Here in Oz we have at least three Hegner lookalikes - at least three different names - probably from the same factory in Taiwan! All appeared within the last 18 months to 2 years.

Thanks for the link Bob, a manual in proper English like what I talk, and it's got useful things you might like to know about your new machine in it very unlike the one I had. Thanks again
The Axminster is near as damn it identical in outward appearance to the Hegner, how its internal gubbins compare I wouldn't know. I am a girl after all ;O
We did consider the Rexon too but I think it was a fair bit lighter so that was why we went with the Axminster.
My Hegner clamp came today and it's much easier to use than the horrid hex key thingy.
I have now completed 3 pictures :eek:
Two free patterns I got from the internet...Elvis coz it look easy to start with then I got a bit more adventurous and tried a Marilyn as you do.
Today I went really mad and did my own design of my dog Wilf. Unfortunately I had a bit of trouble with him and he lost some of the ends off his 'spikey' hair. I think with practice I'll get better at sharp points.
I'd let you see them if you would be interested but I'm not sure how to post pictures.
Anyway thanks everyone for all your help

I'm sure there are quite a few tutorials around here which tell you how to post pictures, but the only one I can find is this one. I hope it helps.

Cutting tight corners takes practise, but it's not too difficult. I suggest you try a few simple patterns to start with, making sweeping cuts. Take care not to over-correct if you stray from the pattern line; that's a common mistake amongst beginners. Once you've got the hang of following lines properly, it'll be time for you to find out how to 'back off' into really tight turns ;) :) .

How are you managing with designing your own patterns? That's quite a skill in its own right.

Gill

Thanks for the link Gill. If I've done it right there should be a pic at the bottom.
I'm finding it all runs away from me sometimes and I can't turn the piece quick enough so don't get a sharp point. The main problem with this one though was more with knocking the points off while cutting rather than not being able to cut them. Maybe it's a combination of the B&Q ply and my inexperience, I'll invest in some better wood when I've practiced a bit more.
Designing the patterns is the easier bit for me, I'm more confident of producing something presentable with a graphics programme than I am with a scroll saw...for now at any rate.

Wilfiecut.jpg

The DIY quality plywood can't conceal your innate talent :) .

Well done!

Gill

Yes, well done tanyabub. That's a brilliant result for a newcomer to scrolling !
bravomb0.gif

Please don't worry about your pictures being too big as a lot of pics that get posted are too small to see any detail.
Your Olympus camera has taken a good pic and it's a good all round photo.

Hello,
I would rather cut than try pattern making, especially I guess because I'm inpatient with the mouse control; don't, or won't, understand the programme and no doubt other things and also because I can get the patterns done by very obliging people for FREE (and from my pictures) via the internet.
Try :-

http://groups.msn.com/AbsolutelyFreeScr ... nhelp.msnw

Even if you are keen to develope your own skills at pattern making it might be an idea to get other people's efforts to compare!

By the way this same site has a Help part. Lots of assistance!

Have you tried spiral blades with 'portrait' cutting'? 2/0 size seems to be popular.

Regards,
Bob H.

p.s. I started off making my own picture frames but for A$10 can buy 11" x 14", and I'd still rather cut!

Thank you all for your kind comments.
I am rather pleased with it for a 3rd ever piece, but obviously I still have plenty to learn.
I use a graphics tablet and pen for designing which is much easier to draw with than a mouse.

I already design cross stitch 'patterns' and draw so that bit of the process is more familiar to me.

I do have some pattern books on order but I couldn't wait and so far I have mainly found Americanalia or bible verses on the net neither of which is my thing. I will check out the link though, thanks. :eek:

I did get some spiral blades I haven't tried them yet, after I ordered them I read that they tend not to cut very cleanly and then I thought I'm just gonna confuse myself with the direction I'm feeding the wood. So I might wait till I get the hang of ordinary ones first

Also I think I'll stick to buying frames for now....one thing at a time eh :wink:

I am not an advocat for spiral blades other than in two instances but I do know of two scrollers who use only spirals. These two people cut mainly clocks both insert type and the geared type and the results are very good. They use mainly 2/0s which are very fine (for spirals). Besides the clocks, which for the insert type are fretwork, they are fans of John Nelson's patterns which again have a lot of fretwork. I notice that many scrollers say that the use of spirals is "not quite the done thing" but if they get the job done, and much that is done with them is hard to spot that the work was done using spirals, where's the harm?
As I say I use spirals for portraits and to trim off 'tab and slot' work.
My tuppence worth!
Regards, Bob H.

Back