Newbie check in

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razornut

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day gentlemen. You may have noticed by my user name. I like razors and related products. So a couple of weeks ago I had the idea of turning my own brush. To match a straight razor I restored this may be a simple thing to the professional turners on here but I had never even been within 10 foot of a wood lathe and I just went for it. Any how I've got the turning bug. I got myself a nice little 13 inch lathe and I want to do more brushes. 3 people have already asked me for one... Go figure. So here I am asking for advice. On good reasonable priced gouges and so on. Initially I will be turning exotics and I am aware of the toxic nature of some of them. By the way I used a friends lathe for the first brush. Thanks in advance chaps.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1409726567953.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409726567953.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,184
  • uploadfromtaptalk1409726580534.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409726580534.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,184
Hi Razornut and welcome to the Forum. Plenty of good advice available here for you. With regard to chisels and gouges etc, the only advice I would give is to go for quality! Have a look in the For Sale section on the site their are good bargains to be had on numerous occasions.

By the way the brush looks really good Well Done.

Vic

May I add that as regards quality I take it makers such a record, draper. Not sure if marples do em. That is as far is my knowledge goes I'm a metal head and this wood thing is fairly new. Lol ;-)

Hi Razornut, welcome to the forum. Nice work on the brush, considering that's your first piece it would sit perfectly well in one of our regular turning competitions. The finish looks good and it has the great advantage of being a real, practical, useable item. I would say very well done indeed.

I echo Vic's comments regarding quality and certainly Record are a recognised name in the turning world. As is Robert Sorby, Crown, Henry Taylor and if you live anywhere near an Axminster tool centre, they have their own brand which are perfectly reasonable and less expensive than the big names like Sorby. Hamlet is another good quality but lower cost name.

What you're looking for with turning is High Speed Steel because of the heat generated plus the durability given the very hard life at the edge of a turning tool. All new tools bought will be HSS but some much older 2nd hand ones will be the softer carbon steel.

Buying 2nd hand is also a great idea because you'll save a lot of money that way and it is after all steel. Who cares if it's a bit grubby, once sharpened its every bit as good as new. In fact if sharpened properly its actually better than new as factory grinds are never good straight out the box.

Speaking of sharpening, that's fundamental to turning so if you really do plan to get into the art your need for decent sharpening will be every bit as critical as a lathe and the tools. At a minimum you'll need a bench grinder with a relatively "cool" wheel and at an appropriate point in the future may wish to research the plethora of jigs and aids to help control the bevel geometry on the more complex gouges. But for starters, particularly with spindle work, a regular bench grinder will suffice.

Tools wise, if it were me and the focus is on spindle work, my list would include the following:

3/4" roughing gouge
1/2" skew (either oval or not, my personal preference is straight but many really like the oval skews for rolling beads)
3/4" skew
3/8" spindle gouge
1/4" spindle gouge (size is depending on the fineness of the detail you plan to include)
beading and parting tool, again size dependant on the work you're doing. My preference is 1/4"
I would also add a fine parting tool to the list which is typically about 1/8" thick allowing little wastage of wood when you part off pieces close to the business end. Particularly with exotics this can save a fair bit of money.

That list is by no means exhaustive as when you get onto cross grain work (bowls etc) it will double. But as a starter for ten on general spindle work that should keep you going for a few months as you develop the fundamentals like beads and coves and using the amazingly versatile skew.

I should add that there is a monthly competition on this very forum which is a fertile learning ground as it stretches the new turners to try different approaches. The work is reviewed by professional turners who offer constructive advice about methods, techniques etc and provides a useful nurturing support platform for people learning the craft.

I also don't recall ever having seen a razor brush on here so you may well be telling us a thing or two :)

Hi welcome Razornut :) that's a nice brush you have made there =D> . The monthly challenge has been good for me and I have learned a lot from trying to make it every month also it develops your skills and you try new Technics.

That's a good point, because you're at the beginning, you've got the buying power advantage of needing everything so getting a set may well be better value than buying 2nd hand.

Another point worth mentioning early is the health and safety aspect. Obviously there are numerous opportunities to get into trouble with fast moving machinery. Rather than go into an exhaustive list here you absolutely positively MUST read the chapter on lathe (and lung and eyes) safety before getting too stuck in. Any of the decent turning books always have the first chapter on safety, don't disregard the pages as boring superfluous text, the advice has been hard earned by some unfortunate people who have sustained very nasty injuries.

Lastly, I would highly recommend you have a 1 on 1 days tuition with a professional turner to give you an overall grounding and in addition join your local woodturning club. There will doubtless be one in your area and they typically meet once per month and will be a source of inspiration and advice/guidance/resources.

Its also compulsory to join the monthly woodturning challenge here of course :)

Ha ha I like the challenge. Err challenge. H&S and I are no strangers. I install industrial doors for my day job. So RAMS and the ubiquitous site inductions are very familiar.

I have removed the earlier post and posted it on a more appropriate section of this site, a picture of a whetstone grinder on the tool review section, a few kind gentlemen have commented already but more are welcome :-D thank you in advance

Latest posts

Back