newbee to turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbee56

Established Member
Reaction score
Right guys, I'm new to this forum & thought that I would introduce myself.

I'm a time served carpenter by trade that has dragged myself up from the tools & now have a shirt & tie job in construction.

I've had a hankering for turning as I'm one of the old time served carpenters that always had a tendency for anything made from wood. As the years have gone on I managed to accumulate all sorts of tools in the garage that could never be used for cars, I saw a draper swivelhead lathe very local on fleabay in excellent condition
Thought this was too good an opportunity to miss I picked it up.

You know youtube is really a godsend (as long as you dont take the american videos too seriously)

To cut a long story short after some years we now have bandsaws, benchsaw, belt sander, chainsaws a vast selection of powered drills, together with (i think) everything else, and have now also been woodturning for a few months now. The mrs has also becoming more profient that I am as she spends more time at home but dislikes forums. She has always called me "a man of wood" in a good sense.

Needless to say we ended up recently picking up an old treadle wood lathe that needs a wee bit of work, and are waiting for 4m x 3m log cabin to be delivered next week.

Eventually after years of squeezing into a garage, we now suddenly need a dedicated workshop once she has become interested....Its a strange old world.

Welcome to the forum, and to turning.
Sound very much like you have been bitten by the bug,my wife thinks I have, but I tell her it is just a passion, she say's it's compulsive.
Enjoy it,and have fun.

All the best
Geoff :eek:ccasion5:

Back