new workshop/hangout

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klkarrier

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, new to the forum so I thought i'd say hello and show you the stages of how my new shed is coming along. Having not long moved to a semi detached with a small garden I wanted a workshop space and somewhere that I could chill out. Well having looked at garden sheds at about 16' x 10' and the prices they charge i decided to build one myself. I draft plans for an Architect for a living and dabble in carpentry in spare time so I sketched up an idea. Decided on 16 x 8 internally so it wouldn't impact too much on the garden..big enough to put a bench in, some storage and a recliner chair that I've been given. I'll update with photos as I go along.. cheers Lads (sorry admin I've posted in wrong section)

Attachments

• shed drawing 2.jpg
    shed drawing 2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 899
  • shed drawing 1.jpg
    shed drawing 1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 899
Cool. In your shoes I would want some lower windows to flood my workbenches. My shop is about 35 feet long and has windows all down one side from wait height upwards, and it makes a huge difference to the feel of the place when I am working in there. I can also open one and shout to my wifely assistant to bring tea....

I am interested in the shed price aspect. We recently bought a 12ft by 8ft heavy duty workshop shed, which we are actually using as a potting shed. This was £1,100 delivered and installed including VAT (special offer), including raised floor, fully timbered and heavy duty felted roof (which I am going to cover with cedar shakes), proper door, toughened glass windows etc. Includes a workbench all along one wall (not what we would call a workbench though), and a full length shelf. We could have had 18ft long for about £500 more. It is well made and I think represents quite decent value for money. It would be quick and cheap to insulate it and secondary board as a proper workshop.

Anyway, good luck with your build - it will be interesting to see how it works out and how economically you are able to do it.

Well I was browsing in a restore run By Habitat and happened to see a mix of 4metre long 4x2. 5x2 and 6x2 second hand timber. about 30 in all, Got it all for under £10. The lengths were never used but had sat about, all perfectly straight and usable. So they will make a great suspended floor. Great start on the budget

Hello and welcome. A nice Manshed build and WIP goes down very well on here, please post Pics, If you are able.
Regards Rodders

first pic I took of where the shed is going to go. At least it will screen the oil tank and that wonky clothes line pole

I got to hear about timber packing that was used by a glass import company. Basically its 12'long x 4"x1" timber framed up as a U-channel. I went and picked up about 40 lengths of these for FREE. so I decided to use these as uprights. Took some apart and used them, doubled up as rafters.

second pic was taken a week later after i got the base, uprights put in, rafters on.. Cost so far about £20

Attachments

• shed 3.jpg
    shed 3.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 761
  • shed 1.jpg
    shed 1.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 761
to help me out i went and bought this handy tool, great piece of kit ..saves using a handsaw :D

Attachments

• shed 4a.jpg
    shed 4a.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 748
another progress pic ..this one shows the roof cladding and rear wall cladding on. Rear wall is second hand corrugated tin.. donated by my boss. Bought profiled cladding with a anti- condensate lining. Cost of the roof cladding and trims was £210, about £8/metre

Attachments

• shed 5.jpg
    shed 5.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 741
klkarrier":2bvg7w9q said:
first pic I took of where the shed is going to go. At least it will screen the oil tank and that wonky clothes line pole

I got to hear about timber packing that was used by a glass import company. Basically its 12'long x 4"x1" timber framed up as a U-channel. I went and picked up about 40 lengths of these for FREE. so I decided to use these as uprights. Took some apart and used them, doubled up as rafters.

second pic was taken a week later after i got the base, uprights put in, rafters on.. Cost so far about £20

Nice job there klkarrier, Looks like you've been doing you're homework, I see, A good job well on the way.
Very lucky to find the timber, As a suggestion, if you hadn't thought of it, you could bevel the 4x1 off and make you're
own featherboard, give it a good quality paint finish, should last quite a while!
Regards Rodders

As a suggestion, if you hadn't thought of it, you could bevel the 4x1 off and make you're
own featherboard, give it a good quality paint finish, should last quite a while!
Regards Rodders[/quote]

The plan is to use T&g veed boards horizontally as this will visually help reduce the height. Had thought of using the 4x1", Have planned to use it inside with a v joimt

klkarrier":1zihmin1 said:
As a suggestion, if you hadn't thought of it, you could bevel the 4x1 off and make you're
Regards Rodders

The plan is to use T&g veed boards horizontally as this will visually help reduce the height. Had thought of using the 4x1", Have planned to use it inside with a v joimt[/quote]
Regarding the T&G, you probably know to lay the horizontals tongue uppermost, you will have rain water problems with he groove up top.
That's gonna be a very cheap but nice man shed!
Regards Rodders

went and picked up 100x19mm cladding..as you can see in this pic I needed something to show following motorists that I had an overhanging load and not get too close.. The lady in my life obliged by keeping me legal on the road :eek: :eek:

Attachments

• shed 6.jpg
    shed 6.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 650
Welcome. That's looking very nice and I'm looking forward to watching the progress. As I discovered, the good people on here are very happy to help with just about anything you need to know.

Your overhanging load warning might have the opposite effect to that intended!

Slainte!

Paul

There's a zoom facility on my viewer, and in the second pic, zoomed, there are some, what looks to be scaffold boards sized floor joists and it would probably either be a comcreted floor, done in the dry, or timber/chipboard floor.
Regards Rodders

love the use of the bra - made me smile and I am sure drivers found it amusing - not sure it would stop them running into you though as they were probably too busy looking at it to notice your brake lights! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harbo":3vdz022y said:
I maybe wrong but I cannot see any foundations?

Rod

The floor is a timber suspended. A post set into post-crete placed in a grid pattern about every 3 foot apart and the 6x2"s screwed to them. I've put 18mm ply down. Was gonna use the 5x1" boards that I got from the glass company but was gonna take a while and might have been uneven, Ply was simple and tied everything nicely together

These are the latest pics of the project so far. Still need to paint the door a colour and another top coat of woodstain. The rear gable is the remains of an old shed I reclaimed. It will get a coat of paint. The door is second hand and cost £20 including ball bearing stainless hinges, wired safety glass and pull handle.Glass panes are 8mm thick and butt jointed set into a frame,They were £5each. I think I will put a tint film on the door and side window to restrict the view inside from prying eyes. Thats why I didnt want low level glass for security and privacy.
Inside pics will follow when i get it tidied up..thanks for all the comments so far.. the guy delivering oil last week says he thought it was a pigeon loft ..lol

Attachments

• shed7.jpg
    shed7.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 153
  • shed8.jpg
    shed8.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 153
  • shed9.jpg
    shed9.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 153
sitefive":3off1rq5 said:
thats a damn good workshop indeed! How much has it set you back so far?

I've kept a running total and its coming in around £550. My main expenses were
roof and trim cladding £210
timber cladding £110
18mm ply floor £110
door and glass £50
woodstain £25
screws £20
timber £10
padlocks £15
electrics ..not finished
...so all in all very pleased so far

at the start i reckoned over £1000 would be needed, but having sourced materials from the likes of a Restore and getting reclaimed cladding for the 'out of view sides' its been a very rewarding project so far..

Back