New work and wood ID please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narrowboater

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought some of these the other day from Axminster

P1010009.JPG

And have just turned one into this

P1010010.JPG

Here it is in action

P1010013.JPG

Not the biggest of subjects, question is what is the wood. I bought a selection of small spindle blanks from Craft Supplies some time ago, and it is one of them. I think it had the wood name on it, trouble is I got a bit carried away, and had roughed it down before I realised what a nice piece of wood it was.

The hardest bit of the project was finding a source of lamp oil.

Regards
Rod

Attachments

• P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 1,114
  • P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 1,114
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 1,114
Marcus

I guess they would, Axi Say not use Kerosene, Alcohol, GASOLINE paint thinners or acetone.

regards
Rod

marcros":1x8pgcdj said:
would they run on meths?
Too volatile and far to low a flash point for use in such a closed container.

Lamp oils are pure paraffin which burns cleanly without natural odour more akin to a kerosene with a much higher flash point.

Isn't it supposed to be a diffuser for wimmin to put something smelly in and just let the pong waft around without setting fire to it ???

It's a burl, the name was on the label :)

Can you recall if it was a UK or an imported hardwood.
UK could be Elm.

Chas

Sorry, I got carried away, and roughed it off, I do remember that the name was inked on to the blank, it did not have a paper label as some of them do, I bought them about eight years ago and the writing was almost completely illegible. Oh well that'll learn me.

Regards
Rod

Hi Rod A good looking piece I have a suggestion make a lid for it with a opening that covers the bottle up to the big round section just below the flame. You should be able to by the oil at any store selling camping goods. The wood looks like burr elm. Kind Regards Roger C

If the name was printed on the wood it could be Eucalyptus or a Root burr from New Zealand or Australia, did it have a wax coating?

Looks like one of the Eucalyptus burrs (there's over 600 species of Eucalyptus so it's anyone's guess)

DIY places for the oil, The same stuff that goes in Garden oil lamps

img_4bf54244af6f9.jpg

These types of lamp.

John. B

John. B":1i56ko4e said:
Looks like one of the Eucalyptus burrs (there's over 600 species of Eucalyptus so it's anyone's guess)

DIY places for the oil, The same stuff that goes in Garden oil lamps

img_4bf54244af6f9.jpg

These types of lamp.

John. B
I Think its a burr And With There Being 600 varities of eucalyptus ill put a tenner on that but its very well made and finished i think ill have a go at that i like it
gets my vote
Bill

Very nice and I am pleased that the 20 pence coin gives an instant reference to size. I don't have to go get the tape measure and convert from inches to metric etc etc.

Nice gifts.

I call this sort of wood

Bois inconnu

That usually works

Regards

'Sue'

Latest posts

Back