New turning clips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A certain feeling of inadequacy looms large.

Thanks for those beejay, I need to brush up on some of the demonstrated tool control.

Couple of good clips their Beejay.
Not i bit of sanding in sight :shock:
How do you get such a clean smooth finish straight from the tool :?:
Paul.J.

Paul.J":2rq5s606 said:
How do you get such a clean smooth finish straight from the tool :?:
Paul.J.

Keep the tools ultra sharp, then pick the bit of wood most suited to the task.

Never yet seen a demonstrator chuck up something that is likely to give him problems.

CHJ wrote
Keep the tools ultra sharp, then pick the bit of wood most suited to the task.
Thanks Chas.
I have managed to turn a piece with that sort of finish but there are always parts of it that need some sanding :roll:
Paul.J.

i was surprised the top part of the cup didn't fall off whan he turned it excentrically.

Both videos showed well executed work and a turner who knows what he was doing.

My concern about such clips, and it's born out by the comment made, is that because there is no commentary each viewer has their own perception of what is happening. It's always helpful if there is some explanation as to why a task is done in such a way or why a tool is used in such a way.

Please note that I'm not saying there is only one way to turn. Those who know me will know I don't adhere to that approach. What I do believe in is informed judgement and without commentary you do not get that.

I'm making this point because there is a video on uTube which is so appalling I actually downloaded it and use it to show students how I believe you should not turn. The clip in question shows someone who although he is giving a commentary has obviously no idea of what tools he is using or how to use them safely.

Please, please be aware when viewing clips such as these. Many of them are excellent and are informative, But there are a few that I've come across which to those without a good background in turning can be dangerous if not understood fully.

I think he's gonna need to speed up if he's ever gonna make money out of this.......the first one took him all of 3 1/2 minutes and the second nearly 5 !

....as you may think - I'm joking, well impressed with his tool technique, yet to do much on my baby Axminster - much the same size, hope it will perform as well.

Particularly impressed with where he seemed to be on the other side of the lathe supporting the Skew - must try that one ! (...on the honey dripper) Also he wasn't always using 'baby tools' - roughing down the shank of the dipper he seemed to be using a quite big rougher.

As to finish - I'm afraid it's hard to get anything other than that sort of finish using a nice sharp oval skew.

I currently use a parting tool for my honey drizzlers - next batch it'll be a skew.

Chris.

PS: The ring tool he used for boring out the goblet - I'd usually use a bowl gouge briefly, then a round box scraper ....his way is a lot quicker and cleaner, anyone using one and recommend it?

Chris - I've got a 1/2" ring tool,and would definitely recommend them;give a much better off-the-tool finish than a gouge/scraper.
Just takes a little bit of practice - to start with,there's not much difference between "doesn't seem to do much" and "my,that removed a lot of timber" :lol: :wink:

Andrew

Back