New turner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaWoodster

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it's about time I posted something as I have been leeching advice for a few weeks now.

I just purchased my first lathe, a DML305-VS (thanks Gerry) and the first pieces fell off it this weekend.

Bowl #1 - Ash

TJHk8bm.jpg

m6JY1m5.jpg

Bowl #2 - Ash

zU3DTN0.jpg

HZJ3ic4.jpg

Apple #1 - Ash

4Dt43KY.jpg

I am in Chatburn near Clitheroe Lancashire, if any locals know good sources of wood or even a decent local tool shop i'd appreciate the advice :)

Paul.

FIRST pieces!?!?!

Jeez what will your work be like in 6 months time!?

Well done mate!

:D

In 6 months they will probably be no better, but hopefully less than 3 hours to cut and finish a bowl!

First Stiggy and now you!!

I'm off to photograph all my kit and stick it on ebay.... (hammer)

They are seriously good turnings - way better than anything I have ever achieved. Well done, sir

The tool marks on the inside didn't appear until I shined the wax, at that point I was too eager to try a different shape to be bothered, I'll pay more attention to scraping before sanding next time around.

Some very good first efforts, on the finishing front, try power sanding with a slow speed hand drill, at times with the piece stationary so that you can concentrate on the rough grain spots, even sanding by hand in the direction of the grain if necessary.
Also if having difficulty with tool marks try coating with sanding sealer before final cuts, both with it still moist or after it's dried to swell and support the end grain. Even a splash of water to swell the grain can help.

Great efforts - I especially like the shape and finish of the first bowl.

As with previous posters, the first bowl is very good, the shape is flowing and it looks much the same inside as out indicating a fairly even wall thickness, the base is nicely finished too.

One of the best tools for removing marks and generally shaping a bowl interior is a negative rake
scraper, a fairly heavy section one is better, mine is ground to a round nose.

In case you are unaware, a negative rake scraper is a heavy section scraper ground to be like a skew chisel, and kept very sharp, you use it to remove fine shavings by presenting it flat, square-on to the piece, they do not snag, and are very controllable. Search for some youtube vids you should find plenty of info. A tool well worth owning.

Thanks for all the compliments and advice, appreciated.
A scraper is next on the list, I only have a 3/8 Bowl, a 3/4 skew and a parting tool at the moment, I decided 3 good tools were better than a cheap 6 piece set!

First timer? Quite remarkable. If you know any kitchen fitters the bamboo worktops (like your chopping board) glued up make amazing bowls. Hard on the tools, though. Well done, and looking forward to your future efforts.
Watch evil bay for tools - I saw an Ashley Iles 5/8th bowl gouge go for £21 a few weeks ago. Don't forget for the lighter duty tools especially there is nothing wrong with carbon steel - it just needs sharpening more often. You can pick them up for next to nothing sometimes.

It's all been said but yes, very good results for a new turner. Good idea as well getting three good tools to start. When you do get a scraper try to get a nice heavy one if you can.

I'm not normally a fan of segmented work but that's turned out very well. Nice choice of timbers and a pleasing shape. :wink:

Latest posts

Back