New to woodturning help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobC

Reaction score
Hi all, not turned wood since my school days. Looking to start. Interested in turning pens, small candlestick holders etc. I've read posts in the forum. Just looking for advice on what lathe/s I should be looking at. Tools etc I know I need good quality and these are possibly more important than the lathe itself for starting out. I am willing to travel for a used lathe if anybody has one or knows of any for sale. Don't want to spend loads on one because I need all the tools etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hi Rob,
Are you anywhere near the Red Rose club?
https://rrwtc.wordpress.com/
If so then I'd suggest that as well as asking here, you go along, get to now some local members and ask there.
You may even be able to try out some different lathes before you buy.

I'd also recommend Biven machinery (http://www.bivenmachinerysales.co.uk/) and Axminster depending which end of the county you live.

Hope this helps
Jon

Hi Jon

Thank You for your reply.

I don't mind travelling for any help on my woodturning journey.

I have to say for some reason I like the older lathes, I feel they have a more traditional look and feel to them.

Anybody know much about the Record Power Coronet 'Major' No 3 ?

Thanks again in advance.

Thank you for your reply. I have managed to get hold of a lovely coronet 3, which I'd got my heart set on. Hopefully collecting it tomorrow. So let the addiction begin :-/

Thanks again for the replies.

RobC":214o78hu said:
Thank you for your reply. I have managed to get hold of a lovely coronet 3, which I'd got my heart set on. Hopefully collecting it tomorrow. So let the addiction begin :-/

Very slippery slope once you start making pens Rob :lol:
Have a look at http://www.penturners.co.uk/ as well as UKW where between them you'll get all the advice you need. Load of nutters over there mind, (not me of course !)

cheers
Bob

Lons":2s9vm7c7 said:
RobC":2s9vm7c7 said:

Very slippery slope once you start making pens Rob :lol:
Have a look at http://www.penturners.co.uk/ as well as UKW where between them you'll get all the advice you need. Load of nutters over there mind, (not me of course !)

cheers
Bob

Thank you for the links, I will take a look.

Collected the lathe today, so need to reassemble it ready to use and decide what next :-/

Lathe now re-assembled and positioned. Robert Sorby Tools ordered and other bits and pieces of course, the slippery slope has already started :?

the life you formerly knew is now officially over.....let the turning begin :)

Don't forget.......we need pictures and don't forget to enter the competition (see Grahamshed's thread) and don't worry about being a beginner....it'll really help you learn.

Dam good decision....welcome :) I also really strongly recommend you read all the links Chas has posted in the woodturning sticky's at the start of that forum. There is incredibly useful generic advice on safety and wood choice, methods etc that will save you hours an hours of posting and speed up time. The safety stuff PLEASE read before you start, its critically important. Face, eye and lung protection are must haves in wood turning.

Rob, it's not a slippery slope but a voyage of discovery and enjoyment with an endless supply of comradeship and advice available via this forum.
It is also fun when you explain to someone that your bowl made from Yew is probably 200 years old as it was always in the tree and you just happened to get it out!
There is almost no cure for this addiction to turning but try and remember the mantra 'I don't need any more wood', the only thing is, it doesn't work.

Stay safe and have fun.

Dave

Thank you for the replies guy's. I really enjoy working with wood, so woodturning has to be the next way forward. The safety equipment is already ordered, that was the some of other bits and pieces. Read lots and watched plenty stuff on YouTube. Waiting for the well known what's known as the woodturners bible and dvd recommended by lots of people on this forum to arrive. I'm also lucky enough to have the support of my wonderful wife on this learning voyage which is great :)

Random Orbital Bob":4n6wg7u4 said:
she's looking over your shoulder right :)

Possibly :lol: but for all the right reasons. She's the one that makes me get decent stuff, she makes me understand and get decent quality first instead of my old ways of it'll do the job to start with and then end up getting the decent stuff anyway.

She always gives her support in anything I do, I guess I'm just extremely lucky :D

And dam fine that is too Rob. My Missus is very much of the same ilk. Buy quality and you buy it once, buy rubbish and you buy many times. Your Missus sounds like a very wise lady if she understands the male drive to make.

From a woodturning standpoint, she will be a significant beneficiary too because as your skill grows, many of the items you turn will be decorative for both your own house and those of friends. My Missus finds them to be really useful presents or as little tokens of appreciation to friends because of the hand made quality. They're different from shop bought on so many levels.

Just on Saturday gone we went to a birthday dinner with friends in the village and I turned her one apple and one cherry (matching) egg cups. She loved them, really nice little gift that will be a talking point for some time.

Random Orbital Bob":3k555n5u said:
........, she will be a significant beneficiary too because as your skill grows, many of the items you turn will be decorative for both your own house ....
yes she will really appreciate the extra dusting challenge.

Random Orbital Bob":1cab0mea said:
And dam fine that is too Rob. My Missus is very much of the same ilk. Buy quality and you buy it once, buy rubbish and you buy many times. Your Missus sounds like a very wise lady if she understands the male drive to make.

From a woodturning standpoint, she will be a significant beneficiary too because as your skill grows, many of the items you turn will be decorative for both your own house and those of friends. My Missus finds them to be really useful presents or as little tokens of appreciation to friends because of the hand made quality. They're different from shop bought on so many levels.

Just on Saturday gone we went to a birthday dinner with friends in the village and I turned her one apple and one cherry (matching) egg cups. She loved them, really nice little gift that will be a talking point for some time.

I already have the "you need to learn to turn x, y & z" list :lol:

It's great to have the support of your other half in ventures old and new.

I'm hoping to see some of my own work appear in our home & homes of others :D

CHJ":30ljh9kc said:
Random Orbital Bob":30ljh9kc said:
........, she will be a significant beneficiary too because as your skill grows, many of the items you turn will be decorative for both your own house ....
yes she will really appreciate the extra dusting challenge.

I'm a bit of a tidy up freak, I can't work in a mess, I have to work ...... Clean ........ Work ......... Clean .......... Work ......... Clean and then clean some more :lol:

Latest posts

Back