New To Forum and Turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murray76

Reaction score
Hi all,
I`am new to both the forum and turning.
Bought a Record Lathe last week along with a few tools and bits.
After reading a lot of hits and tip on the forum and a few hours of You tube,
I set about making my first bowl nothing too fancy but enjoyed it that much I made another 2 :)
Constructive comments welcome, also anyone know what the woods are ?
As I was just give huge lumps of these 3 woods by my neighbour.
Thanks Adrian

Attachments

• Bowl-01.jpg
    Bowl-01.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 1,244
  • Bowl-01a.jpg
    Bowl-01a.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 1,244
  • Bowl-02.jpg
    Bowl-02.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 1,244
  • Bowl-02a.jpg
    Bowl-02a.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 1,244
  • Bowl-03.jpg
    Bowl-03.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 1,244
  • Bowl-03a.jpg
    Bowl-03a.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 1,244
You've had a lathe for a week and you can produce stuff like that!!!

You are most certainly not welcome here and can take you lathe and .............. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

No, I jest. :lol:

Although I am jealous at your speed of progress, welcome to the forum and congratulations on producing three good bowls. I'm still reshaping circular firewood with the occasional success.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Greg

hi every one
very new to forums and even more new to wood turning so be gental with me ha ha .lve just started to collect some tools and saftey equipment together and have an eye on a draper wtl 99 lathe second hand lthink this may do to put my toe in the water or so to speak. anyway just want to say hello.by the way did the other new guy get them bowls with his lathe if l can do that in a week l will be very exsted brilliant

Well done on achieving those results in such a short time.

Murray76":1dmxa4y3 said:
Constructive comments welcome,

In form of critique not criticism, on the first image I think, and definitely on the last image you have some patches of torn or pulled grain.
A few things you can do to reduce this in the future:-

• 1. Make sure your tools are as sharp as possible for the last few cuts.
    2. Give the wood, specifically the area where it is occurring a coat of sanding sealer before last cuts, try this when sealer is dry and whilst still damp. (it swells the wood and strengthens it)
    3. If not using sealer and intend to use oil finish then use some oil to swell and lubricate the fibres (or just water)
    4. If still present after the above attempts, spot sand by hand with the lathe stationary, sand with the grain where possible, any sanding scratches then blend with the wood, although it is most likely end grain that has pulled.

Concentrate on your finishing for the next few items, even if you have to hand sand stationary, sand with the grain where possible and get the best blemish free surface you can (without the darker/lighter patches/streaks from torn grain or tool bruising.

No matter what form you turn or whether anybody likes the shape or not if your finish is good you can only get top marks for finishing in anybody's eyes.

Finishing edges of bowls:- On the next ones try to finish off the top of the sides with a flat sharper cornered edge, achieve that and it shows a better control of sanding

Thanks all
Yes CHJ I need to sharpen all me tools up ,going to make a jig for my grinder in the morning, thanks for the tips

You will need to sharpen your tools several times during the production of a single item if you aim for best cuts and finish.

If you think they need sharpening then you should have done it several minutes or cuts ago.

I think the woods are probably sapele, padauk and iroko.

One tip for you - put more shape into the outside of the bowl and the inside will be easier because you don't end up with that sharp direction change from side to botom.

wow very good results ! its a great feeling when you turn your first bowl ( I sat for hours looking at mine ) lol
and now I look back at my 1st go and have a inner smile !

being a new boy to woodturning myself and reading CHAS comments on helping to get rid of end grain pulls im going to have a go at that my self , its all ways disappointing when you work hard on a bowl and you just cant get rid of them pulls .

Paul Hannaby":3514b19h said:
I think the woods are probably sapele, padauk and iroko..

I agree with Paul I think. One thing to watch, some the hardwoods, especially iroko in my experience but most to a greater or lesser extent, have dust than is none too good for you. If you've not got a reasonable quality dust mask and have a friend / neighbour kind enough to gift such nice pieces of semi-exotic hardwood, then a mask must be a priority purchase.

However, H&S advice aside, some really nice items for your first bash, look forward to seeing what comes next!

Simon

Latest posts

Back