New Stanley SW Range

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the new Stanley SW range (particularly the Low Angle Block Plane) will be on show at Westonbirt this month?
Cheers,
Jim

Jim
Don't think so - I checked the exhibitors and there's no-one there except L-N, Veritas, Clifton and , ahem, Philly Planes.
Sorry,
Philly :D

Thanks Phil, I'll come and have a cup of tea with you instead! What I mustn't do is pick up one of your beautiful infill planes :lol:

Gower":2b4v6zet said:
Thanks Phil, I'll come and have a cup of tea with you instead! What I mustn't do is pick up one of your beautiful infill planes :lol:
Jim - I wouldn't if I were you...fatal. You'd then start to think about parting with some of your hard earned folding and then you'd be on the 'Slope'...same as the rest of us - Rob

Jim
Everything you've heard is untrue. Well except for the true bits..... :lol:
Do stop by for a cuppa, though!
Philly :D

Hi Jim,

there are a few comments here: http://woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2854 that relate to the new Stanleys (not too sure if posting from a rival forum is acceptable? Can a mod delete if not?)
You'll have to trawl through a lot of stuff to find relevant stuff though!
I reviewed the No4 recently, and the low angle block is in for editing for the next issue.
Hope this helps.

cheers,
Andy

I'm a bit confused! I've read the thread again and can't see anything relating to the plane being reviewed by anyone.
Who posted and who didn't? :?

Thanks for info Andy. Read your article in GW and hoped it would include the block planes. The overall impression of the new kit seems to be good. Personally, I think their price range will be appreciated by many who can't justify the prices of the Big Three (the exceptional quality accepted).
Cheers,
Jim

hi Jim,

I would hang fire on the block plane for a while - there are quality control issues that make it problematic in my mind. It still works as well as a LN or Veritas, but there are certainly flaws that need addressing.
Can't say too much as its in the next issue!

cheers,
Andy

Is the shoulder plane available yet? I haven't seen any comments on this. Tilgear's catalogue shows it being lots cheaper than the standard Stanley shoulder plane :shock: as well as the Big Three, so I'm looking out for it with interest.

Boz

Back