New shop table - first one finished!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't compare it to the Liberon, but I can tell you that Osmo Poly-x dries very hard. I left it on a brush, now that brush makes a rapping sound when you tap the bristles on a hard surface :oops:

yep it is thicker and appears harder wearing. It's meant for floors, so it is designed to take a pounding. Smith and Rodger's Danish oil is quite good if you wanted something thinner. It's clearer than most DO's and has a slightly higher content of urethane which makes it tougher.

I've only used the clear matt version. If it's a large area I tend to use a brush to apply it. Leave it five minutes and wipe it off. For my bath panel I applied about 6 coats and it's got a lovely hard sheen to it.

I think the quick drying is really only useful on flooring.

A very light sand is needed, mostly to remove the inevitable bits of dust that are stuck in the finish. I sprayed the Chestnut Lacquer recently and got very good results that way.

Build looks great so far.

Thanks Chems!
Yes had a chat with Terry - think the slightly rough texture is from dust / dry lacquer landing on the piece so will give a light sand as you suggest.
Cheers
Gidon

Time to post some more progress.

The first table is finished! I had real problems spraying the lacquer - had to sand back and try again. It still wasn't perfect but I buffed out with some steel wool and wax and it looks ok. The spray came out very patchy - the painter who was in the shop at the time (and had done some spraying) suggested it could be a problem with water based lacquer in wet cold conditions. It could be just technique of course. I'm not sure what to do now with the other pieces of furntiure - do you think an oil finish - again buffed out with wax will look the same?

Anyhow came together well in the shop. Used pockets screws to pull it all together. The Maple inlay matches the floor and is meant to give the substantial look some lightness.

Again descriptions on Flickr:

Now started on the counter - will come back to the further 2 (more likely 1 now) tables when done ...

Cheers

Gidon

Second table complete - just need to spray a few coats of lacquer ...

Pretty much made the same as the first - although used Doms for construction instead of biscuits and managed to justify some more green and black machines :).

This sander is just a joy to use - even using it vertically or on thin parts it performs effortlessly - it makes my old Metabo seem like a monster:

Cheers

Gidon

Back