New Scam

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Never had this scam before

Dear Applicant

After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 418.33 GBP Your TRN (TAX REFUND NUMBER): UK52/288194HMRC29/158, complete the tax return form attached to this message.

After completing the form, submit the form by clicking the SUBMIT button on form and allow us 5-9 business days in order to process it.

Complete your TAX REFUND NUMBER ID: 288194HMRC29 by clicking here

Note: For security reasons, we recommend that you close your browser after you have finished accessing your refund status.
- For security reasons, we will record your ip-address and date.
- Deliberate wrong inputs are criminally pursued and indicted.

Sincerely,
Jennifer xxxxxx (MSE has hidden the name for privacy reasons)
Tax Credit Officer
Preston
PR1 0SB
Opening hours:
8.00 am to 8.00 pm, seven days a week

It went to my trash email box

Baldhead

and its targeted just after end Jan to coincide with self assessment returns deadline so it has some credibility. The bottom line with all these scams is that no institution, public or private will ever solicit by e mail any personal details. Never never never and once you realise that they're all easy to spot. Also the vast majority are poorly worded ie clearly translated by some lunatic Russian mafia lowlife and they're simple to spot. More recently, its clear that they're getting smarter with real bank logo's copied, better use of English, more credible looking response e mail addresses etc. But they all have one thing on common which is that they either ask you to boot an attachment (which obviously harbours malicious software) or they ask you to fill in some kind of form which will always be identity related ie ask for personal stuff, passwords, bank access details etc.

They're really not difficult to spot because no credible organisation would ever do that.

The Dear Applicant is the give away, they would know your name unless they where sending it to thousands of people.

Pete

Penny":3rvyclnw said:
HMRC don't ever e-mail people
I'm afraid that's not true - I get emails from them all the time concerning my VAT account.

BigWing":2hzeuo5z said:
Penny":2hzeuo5z said:
HMRC don't ever e-mail people
I'm afraid that's not true - I get emails from them all the time concerning my VAT account.

To clarify;

from the HMRC website

"HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will never use texts or emails to:

tell you about a tax rebate or penalty
ask for personal or payment information"

Occasionally I have a little fun filling them in with spurious details. Yea, I know it identifies my email as active, but I delight in the thought that they spend time chasing accounts that don't exist.

Back