New roof Building Regs & Solar panel questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finneyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Just started looking at a new roof. House built in 1959. Would do mine and the neighbours as one; two semi-detached with pitched roof and a hip at each end.

Questions
1. Chimney - we have two stacks at the rear midway up the roof and a joint one at the front. No longer used for coal - we have a gas fire on one, but could replace with electric it is only for show. Would like to reduce the stacks to below the roof so that the roof has no breaks.

Can I do this ? Would I need to seal the stacks in the loft or can I leave open - prefer open to allow airflow. What about soil pipe smells ?

2. Solar panels - the rear is south facing. It would be an opportunity to install panels. I assume PV panels as we both have condensing gas boilers for water heating ie no cisterns so hot water solar panel would be too much work.

If possible would like the panels to replace the tiles rather than sit on top of them. BUT we currently have profiles tiles and would like to keep the same - does this cause problems?

Brian

Back