New project specific forum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modernist

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just opened a new group on Facebook called "Woodwork and Furniture Makers Project Forum, specifically for projects. It is an open forum and all are welcome and the wider audience may bring in work, recognition, publicity, new members, ideas etc, all of which is good.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WoodworkProjects/

Hope to see your work there

markturner":ht2d9vxk said:
Shame it's on facebook.....I cant stand it, on principle........I dont want to have to join facebook to view it....

I'll second that. I refuse to join Facebook or Twitter or any similar site.

I'm in! Pity about the dinosaurs... :p You only have to put on what you want to put on, make a name up if you like. There's loads of groups and associations on there, it's not all candy crush and nonsense. Your principals are costing you!

Grayorm":3if5yzpz said:
I'm in! Pity about the dinosaurs... :p
I started programming the 6502, Z80, and 8081 in the 1980's so I guess that that qualifies me a dinosaur :)
You only have to put on what you want to put on, make a name up if you like.

Then you are not complying with the Facebook terms and conditions, which specifically prohibits it product (you) from faking itself. :roll:

There's loads of groups and associations on there, it's not all candy crush and nonsense. Your principals are costing you!
No, my principals are costing Facebook a product (me) and I am not wasting the huge amount of time that Facebook requires.

sometimewoodworker":15ie24oe said:
Grayorm":15ie24oe said:
I'm in! Pity about the dinosaurs... :p
I started programming the 6502, Z80, and 8081 in the 1980's so I guess that that qualifies me a dinosaur :)
You only have to put on what you want to put on, make a name up if you like.

Then you are not complying with the Facebook terms and conditions, which specifically prohibits it product (you) from faking itself. :roll:

There's loads of groups and associations on there, it's not all candy crush and nonsense. Your principals are costing you!
No, my principals are costing Facebook a product (me) and I am not wasting the huge amount of time that Facebook requires.

OK

It's up to each individual whether you join or not but it is clear that different people choose to disclose different amounts of info i.e under their own control. The reason I chose FB is that it is a ready made format which is open to all and requires minimal Mod input. I am trying to support a forum specifically for discussion of projects and design and minimise some of the areas covered extensively welsewhere. If you are interested in that I would encourage and welcome you to join us as it is proving quite popular.

Modernist":ao2i2wto said:
It's up to each individual whether you join or not but it is clear that different people choose to disclose different amounts of info i.e under their own control. The reason I chose FB is that it is a ready made format which is open to all and requires minimal Mod input. I am trying to support a forum specifically for discussion of projects and design and minimise some of the areas covered extensively welsewhere. If you are interested in that I would encourage and welcome you to join us as it is proving quite popular.

Hi Brian
It is looking good and there are a few items already that have given me ideas.

I understand your reasons for using FB and it is certainly an easy way to achieve your ends, and there will probably be a large enough group attracted as long as the projects keep coming as well as the interaction.

However there will be some, and I include myself, who will never join because it's FB, and FB has only one agenda and that is to use all the data you give them and to make all of it public. If you are aware that nothing you put on FB ever goes away and it will probable become public, and you still choose to us it, good on you and more power to your elbow. Just one caveat to every FB user. If you don't want something to be public don't put it on FB EVER

My earlier comments were very much tong in cheek :D

FWIW SWMBO seems to have to spend hours a day on FB. I won't as it would be one more thing to stop me butchering wood :)

I wish you well and hope you have the staying power to keep it going.

sometimewoodworker":29kc1qf8 said:
FWIW SWMBO seems to have to spend hours a day on FB. I won't as it would be one more thing to stop me butchering wood :)

Ahaaaaa there you see, you've made your decision on your wife's FB activities. What my Mrs does on FB would drive me potty. It can be anything you want it to be, and as you quite rightly say, if you don't want it public, don't post it. It's not compulsory that you post anything at all. :wink:

I think people get a bit over excited about this. It is, after all, in my case a public forum. I want people to see it and indeed join in so what's the problem. I'm not going to post details of my STD treatment :)

Why don't you just make a simple website and use that instead...? Just a thought......When I got my new felder machine, I joined the FOG on yahoo, but the site is so clunky to use and generally annoying, I hardly ever go there.....forum software is freely available as well...

markturner":1y6371j9 said:
Why don't you just make a simple website and use that instead...? Just a thought......When I got my new felder machine, I joined the FOG on yahoo, but the site is so clunky to use and generally annoying, I hardly ever go there.....forum software is freely available as well...

Basically because the management overhead is much larger. The benefit of FB is that the structure is ready made and my only involvement is to approve applicants and even this is an option. I agree the yahoo forums are useless. I am a member of the Velocette owners groupand it is unusable.

Back