New Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely planes but no prices - what does "competitive" mean?
If anything like Karl Holtey's, they will have to wait for a Lottery win!

Anybody made one of Karl's A13 kits - price not quite as eye watering?

Rod

Bloo
I would guess about 20 degrees for the one in the article - any less and the wood will be unable to support the blade properly.
Why not try making one the "normal" (bevel down) way? Here's a link
I also have some step-by-step tutorials on making planes in the projects tab of my website..
www.philsville.co.uk
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Thank you both for the links, I'll try to buy a Hock blade when in Califonia in a few weeks time and give it a go!

i find my admiration for this guy rapidly diminishing when i see that he is proudly selling planes "stuffed with solid ivory" it makes me sick

tombo":o6vlu3j2 said:
i find my admiration for this guy rapidly diminishing when i see that he is proudly selling planes "stuffed with solid ivory" it makes me sick

It's a bit hard to explain away, isn't it?

Surely it has to be fake ivory? Although you'd think he'd say so.

He does say about the Damascus miter that it is "stuffed with solid ivory" suggesting to me at least that it's the real thing. Of course it may be recycled. I'm sure there's sufficient bits floating around for people to carry on using it without having to cull new. Of course whether they should or not, and whether doing so encourages further culling is a different question entirely.
Cheers Mike

Wayne is a forum member and I hope he'll pipe up with the details; he's never struck me as a fellow who'll use any material thoughtlessly, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Cheers, Alf

Harbo":26lryb49 said:
Lovely planes but no prices - what does "competitive" mean?

He may have raised his prices - he used to charge 100 dollars (US) an inch.

This was EXTREMELY low, given what he supplies.

BugBear

mr":1p1er16m said:
He does say about the Damascus miter that it is "stuffed with solid ivory" suggesting to me at least that it's the real thing. Of course it may be recycled. I'm sure there's sufficient bits floating around for people to carry on using it without having to cull new. Of course whether they should or not, and whether doing so encourages further culling is a different question entirely.
Cheers Mike

Could be mammoth ivory? Although hard to find (and horrifically expensive) it is available as an alternative to the elephant variety. Apparently the grain is quite different when viewed under a microscope, so they can be distinguished from one another.

Even so, I'd be just as happy with caesin which is an ivory substitute made from milk.

tombo":37a8rk6o said:
...."stuffed with solid ivory"....

The little bits of ivory (the plane is only 1" X 1" X 4") are obtained quite legally from pre-banned stock. Old trophy tusks are purchased by brokers and resold, either in bits or whole. It would be a shame (in my opinion) to simply destroy the stuff.

As for pricing... I make my planes by hand, one at a time. The endless variations I make preclude any standard price list. I used to use a "per inch" standard to estimate cost, but quickly found that this method has serious flaws. Let's just say that my prices are roughly the same as the few other modern makers, (except Karl Holtey). Mr. Holtey is in a league by himself. His planes are to tools, what Rolls Royce is to cars.

Respectfully yours, Wayne Anderson

wayne":146ur9oq said:
It would be a shame (in my opinion) to simply destroy the stuff.

Agreed, in isolation.

The contextual difficulty is the trade in "existing" ivory can camouflage newly poached stuff.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back