UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paullap

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi , my name is Paul , 66 years old , I have been a precision engineer all my working days , at school I hated metalwork and loved woodwork , so I eng up in engineering😩, I now have bought some very nice woodworking tools and machines to do some woodwork , I think I am going to need a lot of advice , and I found this forum and thought I would give it a try, my main questions is going to be what wood to use for certain jobs, I hope I can get some helpful suggestions.

Paul

I suppose your question depends on what you intend to make and where it will be located . Simply put if it’s going to live outside then some type of hardwood ( protected by a quality oil or varnish) I’m not keen on painting wood tbh. If it’s for inside the home then the world is your oyster however special considerations to animal homes ( cages) as some wood is toxic for us to breathe let alone small critters. Again if you are making anything to do with food the same applies. The rest imo comes down to what you like - light or dark , natural or manufactured solid wood or engineered etc etc . I’m not a professional woodworker so I just go with what I like and how easy or difficult it is to plane / machine or sand . I think thought to get you started and to get a feel for your tools and your ability’s practice with softwood. Maybe also let everyone know what tools you have ( hand tools or power tools or a mixture . Good luck and ask anytime you need help or advice.🤗🤗

Hi Thanks for the reply, Tools, I have a very nice planer thicknesser, a proper tool Wadkin I think, Router table hand made bout good and solid, " saw benches, one very nice startrite hardly used , came out of a school. Morticer, band saw, Planes, chisels, saws . I have most tools I think i am going to need. Just making my work bench. I cant wait to started on making some kitchen doors.

Back