New Member from Canada

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevemorris

Reaction score
ive already posted a couple of times but thought I should introduce myself

im in Ontario Canada but was born in Oxfordshire, uk

my woodworking started in the 60's as a child and now im a professional renovator, furniture maker, wood turner

my workshop(600 sq ft) is dedicated to older machinery, mostly Canadian made with some American. everything is pre 1960, oldest is 1915, I have pics if anybody is interested

but as a teaser, here's a 1940's Canadian made drill press, note the hollowchisel mortiser, made for this press, it puts modern mortisers to shame

left side.jpg

Attachments

• left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 147
I'm originally from Essex, I just never moved as far as you did. :-D

I did camp in Hunstville once though, loved it.

we emigrated in 1966, mom and dad always said it was the best thing they ever did and they still say that

stevemorris":1xa51c34 said:
we emigrated in 1966, mom and dad always said it was the best thing they ever did and they still say that
*Mum/Mam/Ma.
Ya Heathen! :wink:
Welcome Steve, Look forward to more of your posts and more pics of old machines. That bandsaw is a thing of beauty.
Cheers and regards
Chris

thanks for the welcome, my machinery is all north American, mostly Canadian the rest is American

tablesaw for example is a 1935 delta tilttop 1160 mounted on a cast iron base, 2 hp single phase running on 240v

Attachments

• P7220009.JPG
    P7220009.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 113
  • P7220008.JPG
    P7220008.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 113
unfortunately we like the rest of the western world are addicted to the cheap Chinese rubbish

weather its furniture or kids toys, its mostly rubbish

Woodchips2":p6tvzj74 said:
Welcome to the Forum Steve.

Does Canada still manufacture machinery or are you also importing lots of stuff from China?

Regards Keith

no im sorry to say that we do not, our new stuff is all made by the same Chinese slaves as yours

my 1940's beaver jointer

interesting machine, has tapered roller bearings, note the stand, the legs are made by beaver power tools with shop made cabinet.
motor is a 1hp repulse induction motor running on 240v

Attachments

• P7230008m.jpg
    P7230008m.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 92
yeah I know, some teasers in the background of the pictures, the jointer picture has a lathe and a shaper in its background

you are correct. jack's stuff is amazing but my little Canadian shop is much more attainable for the average person
I really wanted to share my shop and my newly acquired cooperage tools in my search for info particularly on the plane made in sheffield

Harbo":1gfhmgfe said:
Welcome but what about Lee Valley Veritas?

Rod

yes Canada is the birthplace of robin lee and lee valley tools aka veritas
we Canadians are very fortunate in that regard.

we also make oneway lathes and other turning tools, 2 hours from my home actually, veritas is a little further in ottawa

historically we also had beaver power tools, made by the callander foundry, they were purchased by Rockwell/delta in 1954. during ww2 they made aluminum and iron castings for tank parts. the hobby sized tools made after the war were of very high quality

we also had henry power tools of London Ontario, henry supplied bench vices to all of the allied forces during ww2. after the war they made small wood working tools(hobby sized) of very high quality, table saws, drill press, lathes etc etc

ive had or have machinery by both beaver and henry, i'll post some pics if there is interest

here is a link for oneway manufacturing
https://oneway.ca/index.php?route=account/login
their website isn't the greatest but their machinery is well known worldwide in the turning and spinning community
I don't have a oneway lathe but I do have many of their accessories, chucks, centres, faceplates etc etc
my lathe is a 1940's craftmaster by the afore mentioned henry power tools

Latest posts

Back