New Gyokucho Dozuki Saws Passaround

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewwh

Established Member
Reaction score
gyokucho.2.dozuki.black.JPG

Following our recent appointment as a retailer for Gyokucho and several forum members expressing an interest in having a go with them, here is a passaround for two of the new eva grip dozuki saws.

As before, all you have to do is copy and paste the list of names adding yours at the bottom and send a pm to the person before you with your address. They post them on to you when they have finished with them and you post them on to the next forum member. Second class recorded should be a little less than three quid.

The top saw is a rip tooth dovetail saw and the bottom is a crosscut with a curved tip of rip teeth for starting mid-panel cuts. Like almost all Japanese saws they cut on the pull stroke which means that the load on the blade holds it under tension as you cut. As a result the blade can be much thinner, so less material is being removed and less effort is required.

The blades are 0.3mm thick, just under half the thickness of a typical western saw. They are treated using a method called electroless nickel plating which leaves a shiny, rust resistant surface and allows them to use very high quality carbon steel for the blades without the usual corrosion issues. The teeth are hardened using a special machine developed by Gyokucho that impulse hardens each tooth individually. By getting the heat treatment just right, they are able to case harden the teeth (RC58+ on the outside but still soft on the inside) so the teeth are very sharp, very hard and also incredibly strong.

The eva grip handles are made from a hard plastic that feels like a soft plastic (you'll know what I mean when you hold it). They have a slight curve which makes the saw hang very naturally in the hand, and an integral screw for locking the blade in place. They are also available with traditional rattan wrapped handles for those that prefer them.

At £35 each or £55 for the pair they won't break the bank either, replacement blades are £14 a pop but as long as they are not abused the blades last for absolutely ages.

Already on the list we have:

Matthewwh
Mattty
Jake
Harlequin

I picked these up today, and first impressions are very good. I was a bit sceptical about the handles from the photos, but they are very comfortable. They cut very nicely indeed - clearly toothed for precision rather than speed (relatively speaking - they aren't slow). They seem much stiffer than the other jap saws I've used (none of which have been anything other than bog standard entry level (or below)) - but that's an armchair recollection, which I'll have to revisit tomorrow.

Anyway, I was having a DIY day so I tested them out some stuff, as I always use Lidl jap saws as my anything and everything saws. They loved both hard and soft wood most, but were excellent on plasterboard and a bit of wedi board, and not bad at the aquapanel. Feeling emboldened, I tried a bit of breezeblock and although the cross-cut struggled, the rip was excellent. Unfortunately, they both drew the line at a yellow stock brick which was lying around, so I'm not sure they were sharpened quite as well as some of the myths about japanese saws suggest.

Anyway, I need Harlequin's address please...

matthewwh":1o15b3s8 said:
"but as long as they are not abused the blades last for absolutely ages."

Just to be absolutely crystal clear, sawing masonary does qualify as abuse! :shock:

These are precision saws for fine accurate joinery in wood, I don't know who told you that they were also for cutting up bricks Jake but they were woefully misinformed.

Harlequin, if you need new blades just drop me a PM with your address.

matthewwh":2oznwba6 said:
I don't know who told you that they were also for cutting up bricks Jake but they were woefully misinformed.

Harlequin, if you need new blades just drop me a PM with your address.

:lol:

Matthew - I suspect that Jake was having a jest at ur expense. If not - shame on you Jake :shock: :lol:

Cheers

Karl

Just pulling your leg.

I've PM'd Harlequin for his address and they'll be on their way soon.

I really like them (for cutting wood!). I'm seriously tempted by them.

Hook, line, sinker, reel, copy of angling times....

I'm just glad I didn't write what I said when I read it whilst sipping my morning coffee!!!

Nice one Jake.

:D

Back