New guy - Greengrocer refitting his shop.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo46

Established Member
Reaction score
Ello everyone. Thought I'd introduce myself so you know who's going to be annoying you with questions in the upcoming weeks. I'm Tom and I own a greengrocers/florist in Sheffield. The shop is in a bit of a state and I've been wanting to re-fit it for a while now. I always liked the idea of building everything myself as I enjoy working with wood (although very much a novice) and want to be able to walk in my shop and think "I did that".

I'm going down the reclaimed wood route with most of the work being pretty simple. While looking for reclaimed wood I stumbled across a chap who works with it and he very kindly let me go to his workshop to pick his brains. He works with old scaffold boards to a brilliant effect and it's just the sort of thing I'm looking for in my shop. I've secured some space to work in (thanks to my egg man!) and I'm currently researching and tooling up ready for the builds.

I once tried my hand at a bit of fine woodwork and soon realised I'm rubbish at it. I'm much better at the bigger stuff :p

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum Tombo. Look forward to seeing how it goes - lots of pics please.

Jim

I was looking in a very up market interior design shop recently, the walls were lined with old boards painted in Farrow & Ball colours. When I asked what they were they said they were scaffolding boards that had been wire brushed! Looks like you're a trend setter then Tombo! Welcome to the forum.

yetloh":1q196zhw said:
Welcome to the forum Tombo. Look forward to seeing how it goes - lots of pics please.

Jim
I'm a serial picture takerer so you can count on that haha. Thanks =]

custard":jg64xx0w said:
I was looking in a very up market interior design shop recently, the walls were lined with old boards painted in Farrow & Ball colours. When I asked what they were they said they were scaffolding boards that had been wire brushed! Looks like you're a trend setter then Tombo! Welcome to the forum.
Look's like I'm on the right track then! I must be a trend setter. I did a display out of old apple crates before it was cool! I'd post a picture but the forum won't let me :(

It will let you now - three posts proves you're a person not a spambot. Easiest way is to put pics online in a public site eg phobucket flickr etc and link to them. Otherwise upload here if quite small images.

AndyT":30y3ijym said:
It will let you now - three posts proves you're a person not a spambot. Easiest way is to put pics online in a public site eg phobucket flickr etc and link to them. Otherwise upload here if quite small images.
Great stuff. Cheers!

Tombo46":2z4upalj said:
AndyT":2z4upalj said:
Great stuff. Cheers!

Welcome Tombo46

Nice display, looking forward to your pics

BH

This is a display stand I built for my bread and eggs recently. It's about as good as my woodwork gets : /

Tombo46":69h3q4p9 said:
This is a display stand I built for my bread and eggs recently. It's about as good as my woodwork gets : /

Looks plenty good enough to me.

Jim

When you come in one morning and find that the bottles and jars have jump from off the top and the eggs are walking
out then you know that your work is not good enough :lol: Do not see a problem with what you have done, in fact I think
it hits the mark and blends in well. Well done. By the way if what you make works, Job done.

Both displays look good and serve a useful role, i personally like to see this type of display used,do not like the plastic and chrome look that so many stores use,it may cost a fortune to have installed but to me it looks cheap and tacky.
looking foreward to seeing how you get on with your refit.

Tombo46, I think those displays look delightful, sort of old fashioned air to the place which conjures up honesty.

With displays like that, you certainly deserve to succeed. Keep up the good work; if more folk shopped in places like your's and ate more fresh food into the bargain, they'd be a lot more healthy.

Back