New exterior hardwood door water leaking through

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, a long time since I was here!

I bought a 2 panel (top one glazed) hardwood ext door some 3yrs ago and stored it in one of my sheds flat with 8x4 sheets on it so no twist.
Fitted it recently and teak oiled as I really wanted to keep the wood rather than paint it.

when it rains water is leaking through as if its passing the quadrant area around the glass and also on the wood lower panel quadrant.
Now I can remove the inner quadrant strips, put sealant and replace with no doubt some damage to the trims, but that wont stop the rain getting in to that point.
The glass seems to have a thin seal round it so trying to remove the glass will no doubt end in tears.

Is there some sort of wax or sealant I can use to waterproof the area of the door thats causing the problem?

It sounds like the door has been fitted as internally glazed making it difficult to seal -if Ive understood the description correctly.

The quick option is a small bead of silicone around the glass, the best way is to deglaze, put plenty of silicone on the back of the rebates especially the bottom bead. Reglaze making sure silicone oozes out a little and cut off when dry.

Or turn door round so its externally glazed -prob not an option if its natural.

Hi Robin, the door is correctly hung, outside is facing out, still have the sticker on the glass.

I can I guess remove the quadrant from around the glass but im guessing glass removal may be very difficult in one bit as its got silicone or some sealant round the edge already.

Looks like I will have to bite the bullet though.

Deglazing is probably the only cure. Beads that are siliconed and pinned can be tricky to get out without splitting. I use a filler knife down the back of one of the long beads and a hammer to snap through the pins. Once the first bead is out the rest are generally easier. When glazing I would put a silicone bead in each corner before putting in the glass. This stops any water from accessing the joints, which can sometimes allow a leak. The bottom bead is always the most vulnerable point and a full bead of silicone across the back and then pushing against the glass with some squeeze out forms a good seal.

Back