New clamp jaws for the Rat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Well, around the time Alan built his new jaws, I too had decided enough was enough. I didn't post my solution at that time as they are very similar to Alan's

The reason I made these is as follows: I was building a dining room table and the tenon faces were not quite parallel with the wood surface. On inspection, it became clear that the issue was the clamp mechanism being a little weak and the 'T' piece that runs in the extrusion being a little sloppy.

My solution was pretty much the same as Alan's but made form aluminium.

When i saw his new clamps, i realised that false faces made of MDF were a good idea. Thanks Alan :wink:

The Rast is a much better machine as a result and I am highly chuffed - used the Rat tonight to cut some slots in purpleheart which made me think about posting a few photos

7.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

Well, I thought it might interest a few members, shows how wrong you can be :wink:

maybe I should have put it in off-topic!! :lol:

By the way, it will cure global warming and your carbon emissions and is also suitable for affixing to Festool tools (the whole range)

ok everyone, he fell for it. Come out of hiding now :wink:

Looks nice mate, just wish i had a rat to apply this mods too :roll:

looks good .......... I'm planning of doing a few jobs on modifying the Rat but thats not for a few months yet but I'll try and remember the Al fences as it looks like a good idea to me :D

Hi Tony
Love it - my non- engineering brain has taken this long to understand what you've done :oops: but I see now how the two clamps operate and how it will take out rattle.
Can you make them to order for more humble 'rat owners? :D

stewart":1wvuxk7p said:
Hi Tony
Love it - my non- engineering brain has taken this long to understand what you've done :oops: but I see now how the two clamps operate and how it will take out rattle.
Can you make them to order for more humble 'rat owners? :D

Funnily enough, i might be the owner of a milling machine later this week. Not considered making them for other people (thought one lucky member has a set :wink: ), but will look into cost of the aluminium.
Maybe you could buy the materials and i'll machine it.

Yep, rattle is long gone due to metal shims :D However, the main advantage is the larger clamp area and the lack of compliance and flex in the jaws

Thanks for the post Tony. I did get around to making some aluminium angle replacement jaws for my 'Rat, but the aluminium angle (after machining etc) was definitely not square so I never fitted them. Your post has given me the urge to start again, particularly the greater length, which I had not really thought about. The plastic jaws do bend, especially when deep work is placed in them. I usually end up with "G" clamps adding extra support when cutting finger joints with stacked wood - and have router grooves in then to show modern bits cut cast iron/steel quite well!!
I think Craftmans Gallery(?) in America make aluminium replacement jaws for those unable to make their own.

Bob

Tony,
Looks like a great improvement.

Now, do I try making some new jaws , and seeing if my use of the 'rat increases (from zero at the moment), or do I just give it up as a lost cause? :-k

Nick W":sdghong5 said:
Now, do I try making some new jaws , and seeing if my use of the 'rat increases (from zero at the moment), or do I just give it up as a lost cause? :-k
Nick, try some - I think they're well worth the effort (Aldel's variety in my case, not being an engineer... :wink: ). My 'Rat use is patchy but they've certainly increased it.

Cheers, Alf

Alf, OK, but don't hold your breath: following Philly's contribution to this month's Woodworker my first bit of Metalwork (how does that work now?)is going to be blade making.

Nick W":3fme1k16 said:
Tony,
Looks like a great improvement.

I can send you the engineering drawings of my mod if that helps you get motivated :wink:

Tony, that would be very kind. E-mail would be great, I guess you know how to find mine.

Is it possible to do attachments through the e-mail links from this forum?

Hi Tony

Tony":udpzvbcf said:
Not considered making them for other people (thought one lucky member has a set ), but will look into cost of the aluminium.
Maybe you could buy the materials and i'll machine it.

I'd be very interested to take you up on this - have no idea how much aluminium costs though. I think you should also have something for your time as well though. Any chance of a quote?

Tony":50hg88gx said:
Well, I thought it might interest a few members, shows how wrong you can be :wink:

maybe I should have put it in off-topic!! :lol:

In my case this is the first time in 3 or 4 days since I have looked at the site.

I've bookmarked this in my Rat folder for future reference. Thanks.

The jeweling is a nice touch!

I like that Tony, definately something I will have to do. I would like a copy of the drawings, will send my email in a PM.

John

Tony,
They certainly look solid. What jaws did you have before btw?

I find that sandpaper glued to the jaw faces is important as an aid to stopping the workpiece shifting.

I bought a Woodrat.

I unpacked it, laid it out, then realised that accuracy depended so much on having the router in EXACTLY the right position, on the black 'jig-plate'.
As I couldn't work out a procedure, that would ensure this accuracy, (and I mean spot-on accuracy) then I never bothered with the jig again.

I did ask the manufacturer why they couldn't produce templates for the various routers in common use, so customers could stipulate which template they required. Unlike 'TREND', who are most helpful, the response was something similar to:

'Do the 'customers' want us to hold their hand?'

I was not much pleased and indeed, a well known 'router expert' agreed with me. Fitting your router to the Woodrat is critical, but it might well be a case of trial and error. :roll:

As I couldn't find the material Woodrat used to make the plate, (should I have needed a spare.) I didn't bother.

Not good.

The Woodrat is still in its box, and has never been set-up, let alone used.
I reverted to the Leigh, which was much more intuitative in its use.

Is it just me who is wary of making that first 'drilling' into the base plate of the Woodrat? Or does someone have a foolproof method of getting it right, first-time? :cry:

PS yes, I could make a template, or even use the detatchable router base-plate. However, even that has to be positioned correctly, before that first cut. There just does not seem to be a way of establishing that the router base is in the EXACT position, beforehand.

PPS. It is surprising what you can do with a Leigh jig, after a little forethought. Okay, it might not be able to cut dovetails in multiple drawer-sides in one go, but so what? It can do lots more than cut just dovetails.
Yes I can cut dovetails by hand. But these days at 68, I find it painful bending over the work, for long periods. Honest!

Cheers
John

[/quote]I find that sandpaper glued to the jaw faces is important as an aid to stopping the workpiece shifting.[/quote]

The same is true for the Leigh Jig, with regard to the cross-bars, which hold the work.

JW

I'm a bit lost there John to be honest! There's a whole page in the Manual describing the method to precisely position the Router on the Router Plate if you're not using the DeWalt or Elu models, along with a list of suitable makes - although you said
black 'jig-plate'
Do you have one of the very old models that may not have those instructions?

Latest posts

Back