new box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
This is my latest box, and I like it a lot, but someone has asked to buy it. Ordinarily I give my boxes away, but dont feel I need to donate this one as he is not family, and I have no idea what kind of price would this box be if it were in a shop.
So anyone who makes boxes I would be very grateful if you could suggest a high / low price range to give me some guidance. Its 6" wide, x 5" high x 5" deep.
Front is padauk and beech, layers are walnut, ply, and rosewood.

IMG_1803_zpsniess64d.jpg

IMG_1804_zpsw5mee3pz.jpg

IMG_1805_zpssv5l7fmd.jpg

That's a very nice box. I love the way the base flows into the box body. =D> =D>

If I were selling that piece, bearing in mind it's a one off as it can't be repeated due to variations in grain orientation etc, I would be looking for a minimum price of £45 GBP and work from there.

Remember, don't undersell yourself, think of all the time you put into making it.

Its strange, nobody who knows me would call me shy and retiring, but when it comes to pricing my work I know always undersell myself.
I was offered £20 and almost took it
I cant achieve the fine detail like Alexam, but this is one of my better boxes so I think I'll push for £40.
Thanks.

£20 is far too low for that box. Had I made it, I would be asking £45 at least. The finish is excellent and it is most attractive.

In future, if you wat to see prices, just google bandsaw boxes. Here's an example for you from a superb box maker in the USA, Dave Woods
http://designer-woods.com/ look at his prices

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm, that gives an idea. But I really do not want to get too far into selling. I want make stuff as I think of it, which sometimes can be weeks between brainwaves, and the last thing i want is someone chasing me for delivery.

I'm the same. I make as I want to and try and do different designs, I have a couple on the go at present which are different again. I dont even price the boxes until finished and then assess what is in them and how intricate they may be. I have only made to order 3-4 times and each time I say it will take more time than I expect. Once stated though, I usually progress and send photos as I move on. I would never let it become business, besides which, it would never really pay but helps to buy the timbers.
Malcolm

That really IS a very elegant box sunnybob, well done Sir. =D> =D> =D>

I don't think I'm in anything like the same class of craftsmanship as you or Alexam for example, but I have had the odd person asking me to make something for them, and just like you, I have a great deal of difficulty deciding on a price.

As it's mainly toys I'm making, I always end up looking at the cheap moulded plastic and wooden toys in places like Aldi. I do know that (even) mine are better quality/will last longer than those toys, but OTOH, those Aldi toys look so attractive (at first sight!), they're brightly coloured and are always ridiculously cheap, so I end up in a quandary.

It's one of the reasons I've never try to make a thing out of selling anything - plus the idea of being retired but allowing myself to be "forced" into the situation of needing to make stuff in small batches for efficiency and ease of painting. I much prefer the idea of making one offs and making pretty much what I want to make when I want to make it.

Difficult isn't it? But back to your box sunnbob - apart from the fact that Alexam obviously knows what he's talking about when he talks about pricing your box, if it's any consolation at all, when I look at your pix of your box I don't think to myself "blimey Alexam/ardenwoodcraft, that's expensive!" On the contrary in fact.

So perhaps a good way out of such quandaries in future is to do what you've done this time, i.e. ask on here. I think there are enough knowledgeable people on here to be able to give you a good guide, whatever the item.

Perhaps I shall try that idea myself if/when the need arises again.

HTH

AES

Hi not sure if we are allowed to mention other sites but handmade bandsaw boxes are going from £40 to £300 on some craft type websites and yours is better looking than most of those I saw.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm quite critical of my own work, but this box is definitely one of my better ones.
The guy is still bugging me to sell it, but I quite like looking at it on the sideboard. Decisions decisions.

Sorry, I thought I'd already posted that this is an absolute corker. Great design, well made. Very attractive. Very sellable.
Make another like it, keep one and sell the other.

I made a big mistake today. i sometimes go short mat bowling and a woman there had heard about my boxes and wanted to see one.
I took three down today, and suddenly I have an order book!

Flattering, but I really did not want the pressure of working to other peoples deadlines.

i need to weigh the pros (money) against the cons ("wheres my box you promised for yesterday?")

Back