New Bedrock 604 gloat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey R

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im off out of the country for 3 months, so Im in the process of packing all of my worldly goods into carboard boxes ready to go into storage. Whilst packing up my tools, I thought I'd grab a shot of my latest purchase, a Bedrock smoother.

DSCN4402.jpg

Its in quite good condition, except the lateral lever has been broken off, and at some point its been used to smooth the head of a nail - there are a few fairly deep scratches on the toe down to the mouth. I tried getting a photo but the scratches didnt show, and anyway Im hoping they wont effect the way the plane behaves.

DSCN4404.jpg

When I get back from overseas, Ive got a few jobs planned on this. The sole isnt entirely flat, so will need either lapping or scraping. The old and sticky varnish will come off the handles. And its going to get a new blade and chipbreaker.

Heres my other smoother:

DSCN4401.jpg

I got it from a chap on here, and Ive swapped out the blade for a Ron Hock in A2. Its a real jem of a plane, works beautifully and is the first plane that I actually got handplaning with.

So Ive got to decide if I'll keep both and have one for rough and one for smooth work, or sell the no 4 and use the Hock blade on the 604. But Ive not got to decide yet, thankfully.

Hi Mikey,

I don't think the scratches in the sole will present any problems. Don't forget, Stanley produced a corrugated sole model, and that never created any snags. (Other than it didn't reduce friction as much as it was intended to.) :D
Should be a nice plane when you have fettled it.

Regards
John :)

Tony Spear":2mznao9a said:
Off anywhere nice then?

San Francisco - and Im already planning my discount tool purchases :D

Benchwayze":2mznao9a said:
Hi Mikey,

I don't think the scratches in the sole will present any problems. Don't forget, Stanley produced a corrugated sole model, and that never created any snags. (Other than it didn't reduce friction as much as it was intended to.) :D
Should be a nice plane when you have fettled it.

Regards
John :)

Cheers - I was thinking more that the scratches go right to the mouth, in the corrugated planes they stop about 6mm short of the mouth. Anyway, like you say it probably wont cause any grief.

Im just looking up how much stuff I can bring into the country before having to declare to customs, anybody got any tips?

Ah, found it quite easily, from a post bu BugBear in https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=32829

bugbear":3npoxgbv said:
Allowance: travellers from outside the EU may only bring back goods and souvenirs to a maximum value of £145. If goods exceeding this value are brought back, duty will have to be paid on the total value of the goods.

(
http://www.aboutimmigration.co.uk/custo ... to-uk.html
)

rate:

Commodity code 8205 30 00 00

* Planes, chisels, gouges and similar cutting tools for working wood

duty 3.7 %, VAT 15%.

site reference

So, taking the LA Jack, at 229 dollars, canadian, we have a price (in GPB) of 229/1.79 = 127.9, to which we add 18.3% to get 151.34

Axminster list 220.95, so even "playing nice" this is a substantial win.

BugBear

If you are importing LV stuff into the States you might have to pay duties there as well?

I got $1.86 CDN to the £ for my LV stuff last month but if you buy in Canada there is also the Government and Provence taxes which amounted to 13% on top of the listed price in Ontario.
Still big savings to be had!!

Have a good trip.

Rod

Should make a nice little plane once done. I've done a couple of Stanley Bedrocks recently - they're great planes.

Classic Hand Tools have 10% off Hock stuff at the moment - might be worth getting the blade now before the offer goes off??

Cheers

Karl

Karl":9h1h8j6j said:
Should make a nice little plane once done. I've done a couple of Stanley Bedrocks recently - they're great planes.

Classic Hand Tools have 10% off Hock stuff at the moment - might be worth getting the blade now before the offer goes off??

Cheers

Karl

Cheers Karl - your recent posts were the inspiration for me to have a go too :)

Back