new and old pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefella83

Established Member
Reaction score
the first three bowls you might have seen before but i turned the fourth bowl just before christmas and i just wanted to show someone as they all came from the same slab of beech.
Photo-0041.jpg

this complete bowl had very little sound wood in it.
Photo-0042.jpg

parts of this bowl came away while turning and a change of under wear was required.
Photo-0040.jpg

this piece was a lot thinner ( a mistake with the chainsaw ) but out of all four pieces it is my favorite.
Photo-0119.jpg

this was the last piece at nearly four inches deep.

Photo-0112.jpg

part of the same tree but with more of the normal spalting and waiting to dry before finishing as the spalting process is still very much alive.
Photo-0113.jpg

side view
Photo-0121.jpg

two small bowls from the same tree
Photo-0124.jpg

thanks for looking

I like the more subtle figuring on the last three, but would expect them all to look atractive if seen in daylight and the right context, whats the 'theme'.

"A Cotswold Collection" maybe :lol:

its just a camera phone so the pics are not that good.
the cotswold collection sounds good but the bowls are now in houses dotted all over minchinhampton and in return i got a car boot full of elm burrs.
happy days :lol: :lol: :lol:

How far gone as the beech.
Looks similar to a piece i have, Elm or Beech :?: but i can't get the end grain smooth.Did you manage to smooth those ones.
Paul.J.

the first four bowls were struck with some sort of desease that left hundreds of tiny pockets filled some white fluff and the end grain was a big problem.
there was a lot of torn end grain and i used a big chunky round nose scraper to shear scrape the problem areas inside the bowl with the lathe turn off and rotating the wood by hand.
this may seem an odd way to do it but with all those tiny pockets in the timber it was like trying to turn a bowl with the surface of a cheese grater.

Very nice work :D

parts of this bowl came away while turning and a change of under wear was required.

And that's the funniest quote of the day,without a doubt :lol:

Andrew

The figuring is really eye-catching - the kind of effect that never ceases to fascinate me.

As for the change of underwear, I'm surprised that you managed to get away with just the one change! The wood definitely looks to be 'fragile'!!

Nicely executed pieces, all the more worthy given the challenges they posed you!

Back