neverending story part deux - flamed oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoatyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - sorry for delay daughter got facebook I got no computer time - she's gone for a bit now

so I wanted to rip off Chems' chest and got thus far:
4952205712_4ee96f5ca0.jpg

at which point instead of getting on with things I did the proper bloke thing and started to play about - In this case as I had neither any walnut wot Chems used or a domino or ability to cut half blind dovetails I thought of a cunning plan to insert oak bits onto the front of my drawers like a thick veneer and I had some gorgeous oak to use

5075650907_af7f169fd8.jpg

Phwoar that is saucy! - So heres how it went I needed to thin it and get enough for all the drawer fronts and so cut it in half as above (to be honest I made most of the cut with the table saw and only finished it off by hand - still hard work though - imagine my disappointment when it opened out to reveal
5075654529_001d566384.jpg

still figured but nowhere near as good as the front face - why not? Doh as the old fence post (for that is what it was) was not properly quarter sawn the figure was dissapearing as it got cut - bu66er. So I had to make the second cuts at an angle to get the grain back to 90 degrees like this
5076263248_d04c2ee99d.jpg

and gives this - much better (but a trifle toasted in places)
5075658057_628e6e4d6d.jpg

much planing, cleaning,sawing off edges etc etc gives these little darlings
5075667245_bdc94da4de.jpg

ready to be set into the drawer fronts to give the 'look'!

what did I learn? fence posts can be beautiful, old oak is very hard, recycling wood involves lots of waste (even though it's being recycled if that makes sense)and I now fully understand what quartersawing is in terms of 'figure'.

next instalment Drawers, dovetails, slips etc etc

Hope you enjoy - Pete

Latest posts

Back