Neoprene gaskets and the clearvue cyclone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

I am in the process of installing a clearvue cyclone I have purchased from the USA - I have had some problems with motor voltage etc and supply of the correct filters but so far have worked round them all and the project is going nicely :)
My latest problem is the dustbin lol I have to make sure its completely airtight !
I have bought a metal dustbin as they suggest but the the lid is useless - no chance of making that airtight at all!
so I am thinking of making an MFC lid with a nice fat Neoprene gasket - which is where the question comes in .
Any one know where i can get a short length of gasket from?

Mike

I'm not sure if carpet underlay foam is closed cell or not but it might work and it's cheap and easy to find.

I would be tempted to look for a 45 gallon (205 liter) drum with lid. There are lots around this area because of the processing plants for the strawberry, raspberry, and blueberries grown here. They get a lot of fruit concentrate from South America that come in steel and plastic drums and they don't get returned! Industrial areas might be fertile hunting grounds too.

You could always make a box of plywood and use weatherstripping to seal the lid.

Foam insulation for copper pipes, available from the sheds. It's already split so it can be slid over the metal edge of the dustbin. Cut it very slightly overlength so that the ends are forced together and tape the join with Duct tape.

Works a treat. :)

Dave

Inspector":2isyfjwn said:
I'm not sure if carpet underlay foam is closed cell or not but it might work and it's cheap and easy to find.

I know it's a different subject, but carpet underlay makes a great shock absorber/insulant used underneath sheet materails, for standing on, when at the bench.

John :)

why not buy some liquid gasket from your local car parts shop, or even halfords.???? just don't use the silicon ones :roll:

if it will work on a cylinder head, or rocker cover, why not for a dustbin lid :twisted:

paul :wink:

Mike...into what are you going to empty the bin?

Reason for asking is that when I made my box to sit underneath my Clearvue mini-cyclone, I made it too big to slide into a black plastic refuse sack. So I end up having to hand empty it which kind of defeats the object. A better box is on my TUIT list.

Back