Neighbours

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY Stew

Established Member
Reaction score
Next door have some shrubs which have blue/purple berries, these are dropping off onto our drive which we had block paved last year, when I park the car the berries are getting squashed staining the blocks, does anyone know how I can clean the blocks?

TIA

Stew

First I would suggest that you talk to your neighbour and tell them of your problem and cut the bushes back so the berries don't drop onto your drive. If they are at all good neighbours they won't want your drive to be spoiled at all.

As for removing the stains, have you tried a pressure washer?

I'd probably start with bleach and see if that does the job although the rain will probably do it eventually if you can wait that long.

firstly it is natural dye from the berries get bucket of hot water and a good cup full of Non bio washing powder and a scrubbing brush don't power was as thi just blows out the silver sand that locks the bricks into position. when it is dry treat the whole drive with something like http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/18093364 ... sbar&cbt=y though other types are available get the best you can the rust-kins is good but you can only get it in 1Ltr packs

PS neat bleach or brick acid will take the face off the bricks and you will lose the colour in a couple of years

Might be laurel berries. Have a look at http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-re ... stains.htm it may help.

Some years we get elderberry staining - not from the actual berries directly but from birds that eat the berries after which nature takes its course and they then spread the results around when practicing their bombing skills. We often have smears and streaks on the garage wall and door but neither persist - the rain and sun wash and bleach the stains in a relatively short time.

I suppose it depends how big the bushes are and how many there are, but if not too many you could just pick and dispose of the berries without hacking at the plants and destroying the natural symmetry - hacked at shrubs can look a real mess.

Misterfish

Latest posts

Back