Need sawblade buying advice and got paypal cash to spend.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martlewis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Got a few hundred quid in paypal to play with this christmas. Hopefully getting a thicknesser, possibly replacing my jointer with a combination m/c.

But mainly I need a good quality combination t/s blade. The majority of use will be cutting ply, and cross cutting and ripping softwoods. Can anyone recommend a blade (probably on ebay as I need to pay via paypal) that will fit a SIP 10", or what reducing bush I would also need.

Any help or links would be appreciated, the cash is burning a hole in my proverbial pocket... I need to spend it :)

Martin

Martin
Cutting ply and ripping softwoods are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Any blade that is good at one will be poor at the other, I would expect.

Have a look at the Freud range, I have a Freud thin-kerf rip blade (24T) and it is excellent. If you really do want a combo go for 40T. But for ply you really need 60 or 80 T negative-rake if you want a splinter-free finish (especially across the grain) on with 10" blade.

HTH
S

Hi Martin,

Firstly, most sawblades are a 30mm bore, so you would need a 30mmm-1" reducing bush. These can be bought at Axminster for a couple of quid.

I would definatly recomend buy two blades. One specificaly for ripping and one with a higher tooth count that will leave a nice finish on plywood and when crosscutting.

A 24 tooth blade is best for ripping, and I would get a 48 or 60 tooth blade for crosscutting.

CMT and Freud are good makes. I can't help you with any suppliers that accept paypal though.

Any other feedback on Summit blades? I'll happily buy 2 or 3 to get the right cuts, crosscut, rip cut, ply cut. Which of the summit blades listed would do each job?

Sorry if questions seem so basic but in the past a blade was a blade so long as it cut something. Only really now getting into proper woodworking.

I run Freud 40 and 60 T for general.
80T Summit for laminate perspex and veneer
24T Stehle for rip and rough crosscut
Assorted others that come in handy whilst these are being sharpened are a general purpose Clarke from machine Mart ( surprisingly good, I only bought it to use for a stand in, but its really OK for the money.
A few that came with machines such as Fox, DeWalt and a couple with identification now worn off. ?

Out of all of them I would say the Stehle is the nearest to industrial standard and probably cheaper than Frued

All these are 250mm 30mm bore.

Also recommend you measure the thickness of your riving knife, no point buying a skinny blade for finishing if your riving knife is thicker.

Bought a few blades from them and the service was good and happy enough with the blades. Especially at the price.

Having said that they were for a skill saw and a CSMS. As and when I get round to buying some of the premium blades, I'll be able to compare them. But for now, with what I am doing, very happy with the results. The chap who runs the place, seemed happy enough to give advice.

Back