Need help with a flange coupler for a motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikej460

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old AEI Motor with a 16mm shaft that works fine and I want to build a 12" bench disc sander with it. The problem is that it doesn't have a keyed or flattened shaft and I need to attach an 18mm ply disc to it. I've tried a press fit using a piece of steel pipe glued into a ply block that was screwed into the ply disc but I just can't get it to spin without it slightly wobbling and eventually coming loose. I've tried finding a flange coupler (which would be ideal as you screw the flange to the disc and secure the 16mm female to the shaft with grub screws, but I can't for the life of me find a 16mm ID one, the largest I've found is 14mm ID. I don't really want to glue the disk to the shaft as there is no room for error and it might not work, ruining the motor. This is the sort of thing I need
1612647877454.png

I could drill out a 14mm but I would need to re-tap the grub screw holes unless anyone can come up with another suggestion?

thanks

Hi... get in touch with someone with a lathe....ask them to make an alloy one.
File flats on motor shaft...this should be easy for someone with a lathe...

Why would you need to tap the grub screw thread?
You can just wind in the grub screw in and push out any swarf?

The team out with the drill bit to remove .

Cheers James

I'm not too far from you (near market harborough) if you get the 14mm ID one I can bore it out to 16mm.

Might be a silly question, but is it 16mm or 15.865mm, which would be a 5/8" flange mount you need. Seen more of them around at 5/8".

Might be a silly question, but is it 16mm or 15.865mm, which would be a 5/8" flange mount you need. Seen more of them around at 5/8".
I measured it with a quality metric vernier then a cheap, plastic imperial/metric draper one. I suspect the shaft is slightly worn as it's not quite 16mm and not quite 5/8" so that's why I'm thinking a tapered bore would be better?

20210207_123023.jpg

20210207_122843.jpg

You would be better to spin up the motor and clean up the shaft with emery cloth on a flat board, and have an undersized bore reamed to suit.

Back