Where can I get a motor shaft flange coupler?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikej460

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old AEI Motor with a 16mm shaft that works fine and I want to build a 12" bench disc sander with it. The problem is that it doesn't have a keyed shaft and I need to attach an 18mm ply disc to it. I've tried a press fit using a piece of steel pipe glued into a ply block that was screwed into the ply disc but I just can't get it to spin without it slightly wobbling and eventually coming loose. I've tried finding a flange coupler (which would be ideal as you screw the flange to the disc and secure the 16mm female to the shaft with set screws, but I can't for the life of me find a 16mm ID one, the largest I've found is 14mm ID. I don't really want to glue the disk to the shaft as there is no room for error and it might not work, ruining the motor.

Can anybody advise please?

Im not 100% following you, but, for cnc stuff, you can get things that look like this -

prod_4Y6iBJ.jpg

You generally have a fair bit of choice as to the bore on the ends, and you can, to some extent, open them out on a lathe also, or make brass sleeves.

I dont understand your question, so my answer may be helpful, or it may be a nonsense!

Try search on aliexpress for

6-16mm electroplate steel Flange Shaft

I found a 16mm Coupling Rigid Flange there.

-1162096867-1750373891.jpg

The problem you have us getting a decent fit in the shaft.

Does it have a flat on the shaft?

Perhaps someone could turn up a 36 X 36 x100mm alloy flange that you could screw on your plywood disc.

Cheers James

Im not 100% following you, but, for cnc stuff, you can get things that look like this -

prod_4Y6iBJ.jpg

You generally have a fair bit of choice as to the bore on the ends, and you can, to some extent, open them out on a lathe also, or make brass sleeves.

I dont understand your question, so my answer may be helpful, or it may be a nonsense!
Thanks but not quite what I'm after I need one of these with a 16mm internal diameter
1612646428046.png

The problem you have us getting a decent fit in the shaft.

Does it have a flat on the shaft?

Perhaps someone could turn up a 36 X 36 x100mm alloy flange that you could screw on your plywood disc.

Cheers James
No I'm afraid not, there are two old set screw marks on the shaft so a previous owner had something similar. If I can't find one inline I will try local metalworkers.
Thanks

Duh! I never even spotted there was such a forum :rolleyes: thanks I'll do it now. It also occurred to me that I may be able to drill out a 14mm but may need to re-tap the grub screw holes.
Plenty of material there I cannot see why not?

I take it you have a pillar drill?

Cheers James

Plenty of material there I cannot see why not?

I take it you have a pillar drill?

Cheers James
Yes I do but only a small Axminster bench drill. The problem I can see is drilling it accurately without making it off centre. The other problem I've just spotted is that the flange on the 14mm is only 32mm diameter which isn't great for supporting a 12 " 18mm ply disk...and I thought this would be easy...

I’m not sure it would matter if the bore was off centre as you’d need to true up the sanding disc anyway once mounted.
Have you considered turning the motor shaft until it fits? You’d want to make sure you don’t overshoot it as the shaft will expand under the heat of turning so allow it to cool before measuring as you get close.

Last edited:
I’m not sure it would matter if the bore was off centre as you’d need to true up the sanding disc anyway once mounted.
Have you considered turning the motor shaft until it fits? You’d want to make sure you don’t overshoot it as the shaft will expand under the heat of turning so allow it to cool before measuring as you get close.
I hadn't thought the off-centre challenge through so thanks, I haven't used a lathe since college 46 years ago o_O. After I slept on it I've figured lining a 14mm coupler up in the drill using a 14mm bit, clamping it in a drill vice then swapping for a 16mm should work.

Hi Mike,

If it were me, I'd look at something like a 100 diameter taper lock pulley. Fit that to the shaft and drill and tap some holes near the circumference. Then screw the disk to the pulley.

Edit to add links.

Pulley
https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/SPZ-Section--Cast-Iron--Taper-Lock/SPZ1251-V-Pulley-Dunlop-1454-p
Bush
https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/1610-Taper-Bushes/161016-Taper-Bush-Dunlop-2304-p

Dave
Yes I've seen this done on YouTube. See my responses above - I will revert to this idea if my drilling a 14mm out to 16mm doesn't work (y)

Mike,
Send me all the correct dims you need and your contact details and I can turn one up for you for cost of postage
Wow thanks so much Phill! I'll work it out and send the dims. As it's an old motor I will cross check the shaft isn't imperial!

Latest posts

Back