Need computer help W7

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Wacom intuos medium pro tablet and pen stylus.

I keep losing the use of this equipment because of Windows updates, this occurs after many windows updates over the past few months.

I have done quite a few System Restores over the past week trying to restore to udates before 7th May 16.
This I have done so many times my restore points will not let me now get that far back to select a point before this date.

Does anyone know how I could remedy this or even destroy the latest updates?

The wacom forum recognises the problem and advises to select a spot before the windows update effecting the program,

Even considering crashing my PC, restoring w7 from my microsoft disk and not going anywhere near the internet using this computer. Anygood?

(Got an Ipad and a laptop that can get me on the internet)

Any suggestions please?

I'm not going to try to give advice theres a whole forum full of former IT workers here DW. :D But You shouldn't need to crash your PC to backdate to Windows 7. I somehow hit the install W10 button on mine and it crashed my PC (looooongstory) (Edit for clarity: So eventually I got it back onto W7) but I'm sure you can choose to backdate manually. If you don't have any joy from other members about it I'm happy to look it up but in all honesty I'd wait till someone with more clue turns up to lend advice.

Don't you just create a restore point ie a point when the equipment worked prior to the updates
in W10 click search (magnifying glass bottom left of screen) and search for Create Restore Point.

HTH

Brian

Unless you identify the update that is causing the problem and disable it, then update will keep on installing it after you go back to your restore point.

Out might be a case of waiting for Wacom to issue a driver update (unless it's a no longer supported tablet?)

What's the exact model of your tablet please?

What happens/what is the error when you say you lose the use of it?

If you're happy to do it why not back up all your personal data, wipe the HD and reinstall W7 from disc as you suggested?

devonwoody":12l86rf5 said:
I have a Wacom intuos medium pro tablet and pen stylus.

I keep losing the use of this equipment because of Windows updates, this occurs after many windows updates over the past few months.

I have done quite a few System Restores over the past week trying to restore to udates before 7th May 16.
This I have done so many times my restore points will not let me now get that far back to select a point before this date.

Does anyone know how I could remedy this or even destroy the latest updates?

The wacom forum recognises the problem and advises to select a spot before the windows update effecting the program,

Even considering crashing my PC, restoring w7 from my microsoft disk and not going anywhere near the internet using this computer. Anygood?

(Got an Ipad and a laptop that can get me on the internet)

Any suggestions please?

Probably not a terrible idea. ;)
The vast majority of system updates and fixes relate to problems that can be exploited by someone with access to the computer, usually via the internet or email, so if that is only you and your computer is neither on the Internet or connected to computers that are on the net then there is virtually no chance of problems. If your computer is on an internal network there could be a vulnerability though it would not be that big.

LancsRick":919x9ug3 said:
What's the exact model of your tablet please?

What happens/what is the error when you say you lose the use of it?

Wacom intuos5 medium pro.

message at screen= tablet not working cannot find driver.

Wacom forum reckons the only way to get back is via system restore to date when driver is working.
my system RS page will not list enough points to get back to , even using find more restore points.

Never used the back up to disk option in the past.

problem solved, removed internet from this computer, installed wacom from disk.

the PC is really going better and faster without internet.
My old laptop is wireless and fast enough for my web needs.

So thanks all for your comments.

MMUK":2ovbgaz7 said:
You could have just restored then switched off auto update.....

I think you missed the point that devonwoody could not do that as the restore points that were far enough back had been purged, so a re-install then "chop off the net" was the only simple, fast, effective option.

As a general point: if you have no need for any Internet access on a computer and you are the only user, then for almost all computers and operating systems, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android and Linux, there is absolutely no need to update them (as long as they work OK).
But if any of them ever go on the internet it is just asking for a virus, worm or something nasty to crawl in.

sometimewoodworker":1hxysklf said:
MMUK":1hxysklf said:

I think you missed the point that devonwoody could not do that as the restore points that were far enough back had been purged, so a re-install then "chop off the net" was the only simple, fast, effective option.

As a general point: if you have no need for any Internet access on a computer and you are the only user, then for almost all computers and operating systems, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android and Linux, there is absolutely no need to update them (as long as they work OK).
But if any of them ever go on the internet it is just asking for a virus, worm or something nasty to crawl in.

Thanks, but will it be safe to bring in pictures etc via USB from laptop which does have all the security precautions etc?

devonwoody":22zr774z said:
sometimewoodworker":22zr774z said:
MMUK":22zr774z said:

Thanks, but will it be safe to bring in pictures etc via USB from laptop which does have all the security precautions etc?
While it is never possible to say for sure that you will be OK, the chance of a problem is vanishingly small. Almost all of the malicious programs need an Internet connection to do their stuff.

If all the pictures are yours the danger is virtually nil, and even if sent to you the danger is extremely small. For other things as long as you do not have any network connection again the dangers are insignificant.

However if you are downloading programs the risk goes up, but still small for a stand alone machine.

. things are working well, just come back with an Ethernet cable for the laptop and the laptop goes faster on the net without using wireless.

Thanks for above message.

Back