need another plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
Just when you'd sorted out in your head a mental pecking order for Lie Nielsen,
Veritas, Clifton, Stanley SW, and the various retailers different Chinese
Bedrock interpretations ...

along comes a genuine new design from (drum roll) Kunz!

Yes, the people who used to make some truly dreadful Stanley copies.

http://www.tresselt-gmbh.de/index.php/en/kunz-plus

A lot of familiar ideas there, but nicely combined. More news
as we get it!

Edit; looks like I've been asleep for 3 years (quiet at the back!)

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodw ... -from-kunz

BugBear

phil.p":30ckyy9s said:
If they were $250 3yrs ago, I dread to think what they'll be in this country (with all the benefits of being in the eu?).

Dieter Schmidt lists the #4 at €169.00, Dick/Herdim has it at €189.00.

BugBear

I've just googled 'Kunz plus UK' and every link (apart from one to Paul Sellers' blog) was overseas.

No UK stockists, yet, it would seem.

Name and colour a bit off putting for me! I can visualise a few raised eye brows down the pub when you drop the details on your new plane into the conversation, particularly if you had bought a pair or a bunch of them.

I allways thought of kunz as equal to anat and rubbish like that.
Does anyone won't any Kunz tools?

I personally wouldn't bother with that bench plane...

TT

tobytools":1g3quysg said:
I allways thought of kunz as equal to anat and rubbish like that.

I personally wouldn't bother with that bench plane...

TT

You might want to check out the design history of the new range.

BugBear

tobytools":5qf2k2kq said:

Hi Toby,

the Kunz #4 was designed by a friend, Friedrich Kollenrott, who is a mechanical engineer (tought at a technical collage) and hobbyist woodworker with a big expertise in sharpening. The later planes (5, 6, 62) are basing on his design.

There was a plane test by a few member of the german forum woodworking.de in 2010. The link
http://woodworking.de/cgi-bin/forum/web ... le-bilder/

(Chrome should give you a rather decent translation.)

The resume in short: Kunz plus was behind Lie-Nielsen and Clifton, but not that fare.
I hope, they didn't get better since then.

The problem with the John Deere Green Kunz is another story. I've two planes and I would bet, they use old planes as pattern, without reworking the flaws.

The spokeshaves are useabel ore at least can be made useable.

Cheers
Pedder

pedder":1ut1l14b said:
Friedrich Kollenrott, who is a mechanical engineer (tought at a technical collage) and hobbyist woodworker with a big expertise in sharpening.

Certainly the most detailed, and beautifully illustrated saw sharpening page on the entire 'net.

BugBear

phil.p":30picxbk said:
Thanks, D. and B.
Kunz is a rather unfortunate brand name in the English speaking world. :)

Hmmm I understood, why Dick changed the company's name (now Dictum), but what is it about Kunz?

(PM's are welcome if it is family unfriendly.)

Cheers
Pedder

Hello,

Not that it has much to do with the new Kunz designs here, but their adjustable mouth spokeshave, based on the old Stanley design, is very good indeed, with a little fettling. I love mine.

Mike.

Hmmm. Maby I'm being judgemental and for that I apologise,
The red and green is a bad choice of course to have to get her as they clash, and look childish.

Ive never used any of there tools so i can't really comment. The new designs arnt to my taste I guess and if I do t like the look of a tool I won't use it. Same goes for veritas bench planes.

Cheers.
TT

bugbear":4ci0uesh said:
pedder":4ci0uesh said:
Friedrich Kollenrott, who is a mechanical engineer (tought at a technical collage) and hobbyist woodworker with a big expertise in sharpening.

Certainly the most detailed, and beautifully illustrated saw sharpening page on the entire 'net.

BugBear
Mmmhhh! I'm afraid I'll need to resume my learning of German, there are just a few words I understand. But the pictures are nice...

pedder":3q28e8x6 said:
phil.p":3q28e8x6 said:
Thanks, D. and B.
Kunz is a rather unfortunate brand name in the English speaking world. :)

Hmmm I understood, why Dick changed the company's name (now Dictum), but what is it about Kunz?

(PM's are welcome if it is family unfriendly.)

Cheers
Pedder

The British English folk are under the impression that it's pronounced like the "un" in "under".
In which case, it's homophonic to the plural form of a curse word that refers to lady parts.

Pronounced somewhat incorrectly, it's a close homophone of a North American slang for raccoons
and also the plural form of a racist pejorative term, depending on context. I wouldn't be too
concerned if you're obviously speaking of a bright green spokeshave with Kunz stamped on it.

Kuntz (also from Germanic Konrad/Conrad) is a far more common family surname in these parts, so,
anyone reading Kunz out loud will probably say it the same way: the vowel like "ewe" and the last -nz consonant
as we would say the -nce in "ounce".

As for Dictum, I admit, I've pestered my mother with screenshots of their "...sheath", "....chisel" and "....splitting axe".
I should explain that the humor is more about pestering someone with a stupid, banal, and childish joke. It's an extremely common name, which many businesses also share. It's not sincerely funny, nor clever. We're just acting like schoolchildren...wait...no...schoolchildren would be mature enough to frown upon it too. :mrgreen:

Back to the topic at hand: who has a Kunz Plus plane and would like to share? Aesthetically, I like them. The huge knob and tote attract me as well. I have no preference concerning blade adjustment on a plane, so that's not really a consideration of mine. The review stated that the sole was somewhat concave; not a concern. Is what needs to be in order in order? For the price, and with the reputation, I was ok with finishing the machining on my bright green Kunz tools. Let me emphasize: I HAD to finish the machining to make those products functional. :shock:
The fact that their No. 3 plane can get to my continent, to a distributor, to a retailer and into my hands for $199
makes me a tad bit skeptical.

I've no idea how good they are, but I want to try 'Iran cap male from brushed precision steel'. Is that like a helmet from Tehran?

Latest posts

Back