need advice on buying a metal lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG they are amazing, I have already made one mistake with not getting the right machine - luckily I got my money back so i need to get it right.

As I say this is mostly the type of thing I will be making my first batch all sold within a week, the reason for this long drawn out topic is I am very new to metal turning as my thing for many years has been woodturning and pen making...so this is really all new to me.

303 grade stainless steel

This is my boxford started off as a model C now its upgraded to a modle A, Cost £350 for the model C and upgraded it with bits from other lathes i have scraped.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 983
Hi can you guys tell me if this is a BUD OR A CUD BOXFORD

The guys are selling this as a BUD its going to cost me about £1400 with a Jaguar Cub 3A–1 inverter with the power Capacitors made pendant switchalso has it got power cross feed.
what do you think guys.

Merv

Cheers Wizard it's not the cheapest one I know £850 + vat £200 on a Jaguar Cub 3A–1 inverter with the power Capacitors made pendant switch...whatever that is LOL... £85 delivery + plus all that stinking VAT

I would just like to say many thanks to all you folk especialy Wizard who has help me over the last few weeks, I think I maybe have been a bit of a pain in the backside but I really do appreciate it.

Merv

Hi chaps here’s the latest, lathes now in the workshop with Jaguar CUB inverter and remote all installed and running.

Just a couple of quick questions that I’m baffled about, firstly not sure if I'm doing something wrong here but why is it that I can slow the speed down almost to a stop with light pressure holding the chuck, this happens in a low speed and a medium speed...obviously I don’t recommend this to anyone but surly this shouldn't happen, I thought the inverter gives more power and torque, I thought that the belts might be loose but they seem to be ok, can anyone throw some light on this.

My other tech question is on the automatic power cross feed, how do I engage cross feed so it cuts into the face, I can engage the cross feed but it only works from the centre out but not outside to centre... again unless I'm doing something stupid, the cross feed will traverse inwards "IF" the lathes in reverse but then surly you cannot take a cut like that...hope I have explained myself OK.

Best regards Mervyn

Hi Mervyn

The motor will offer more power the closer you get to the designed speed, usually around 1500 or 3000 rpm however there may also be inverter settings you can tweak to improve low speed power a tad. Use gears if you want low speed and torque.

I haven't used a Boxford since school so I'll pass on the cross feed question without searching for t'manual

Cheers
Andy

Cheers Andy now this is going to sound stupid but how do I engage the gears... what levers do that? the reason I ask is that my turnings are going to be knurled and that should be done at a low speed, I will at some point look for a manual on this lathe

Merv

I'd hazard a guess that to change the direction of the cross feed you need to change the direction of the leadscrew. On my Myford that would be done by the tumble reverse lever. That's just a guess though, I don't have any experience with either Boxfords or power cross feeds.

wizard":1ahm40eq said:
This is my boxford started off as a model C now its upgraded to a modle A, Cost £350 for the model C and upgraded it with bits from other lathes i have scraped.

Very nice Wizard...

Can you operate it in a wheelbarrow? :mrgreen:

Hat, Coat ........................................................................................................

Door!

Cheers. John (hammer)

jasonB":2ibgxor6 said:
I've had the slightly large Warco 280 VF for about 4 years, can't really fault what comes off of it, maybe its just the way its used or people expect too much from them. The one you are looking at does not have plastic gears and uses teh same Poly V belt a smine which is the original so lasting fine.

If they were rubbish I don't think I could make these

DSC00511_zpsd19c7402.jpg

PICT0461_zps0424c0de.jpg

PICT0264.jpg

358378.jpg

Its fine to play about with an old commercial lathe and getting it up and running for a hobby but as you want this for business can you afford a week (or more) tinkering with it, to me that lost time is lost earnings and would easily add over £1000 to the true cost of the machine.

J

No. 3 is mouth-watering Jason. I built a similar model from a kit, not quite so sophisticated, but it did work. Eventually sold it on the flea-bay, to a guy in Tamworth. Wish I hadn't! There you go. Beautiful work overall... :D

COLCHESTER STUDENT LATHE Metal Screwcutting Machine Tool Harrison Myford Boxford
*SEE DEMO VIDEO* 230V Motor, Suds, Chucks & Accessories
Just seen this one on eBay

One quick comment regarding moving a Colchester lathe. Use the lifting eye if you possibly can. I saw one that was lifted using slings - damaged the half nut and the lead screw. Someone had put the slings around the bed and when lifted, the whole lot moved because it was out of balance.

K

Back