neat pva ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condorman

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Im new here, great forum, have a question for theee in the know.
Im glueing together some oak and using buscuits, the pva i have is waterproof, should i be using it neat or mixing it with a percentage of water? is it ok to mix with some water to make it easier to put on, i have a lot to do? Thanks very much in anticipation of any replies.

Im in France at the mo and am making 2 sets of large oak entrance doors, Ive made a few small projects before but this is the bigest thing ive done in wood, im really enjoying it and hope to get more involved once i finish turning the barn into a house. im making all the kitchen units at the same time, just made 2 internal doors from some 600 year old chestnut that were on the roof and the door frames from some of the old roof beams. anyway im off nice site. regards mark

I have only ever watered down PVA when using it to stabilise the surface walls or floors. When woodworking I always use it neat and apply with a brush.

Mark H

Whilst I can see how difficult dense timbers might benefit from being 'primed' with a thinned down glue before assembly I wouldn't think it necessary for biscuit joinery.

Don't water it down, if you have a large area pour it into a jam jar or the like and use a paint brush to apply it.

I use Titebond 3 for this sort of project, it is water proof rather than just water resistant and has a reasonable open time.

I will second what Keith has said, I used PVA which said water proof on the bottle to make a toy for my grandson.
It dismantled itself when he left in in the garden.:( Titebond 3 is the best I have found and has not failed yet. :D

Hi Everyone, Thank you all very much for the welcome and all the replies, that was really quick.
The PVA i have is Evo stick, it says on the tub genuinely waterproof, for exterior wet conditions.. well see, hope it is.. thanks again everyone. regards mark

If you still haven't done it, consider Titebond. This is an aliphatic resin, (or there's a polyurethane Titebond as well) and MUCH better than PVA. It can be sanded, and is waterproof.

Back