nearest wood turning shop to lichfield staffs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onzlow

Reaction score
hi
I live in Lichfield in south staffs any one know of any shops near ish?
I googled it and every one I could find was at least an hour and a half drive, although went to okenden and was amazed by it, just cant nip in there,lol
cheers

Hi Onzlow, I live just down the road from you in Sutton Coldfield and most of the wood turning shops around this part of the world seem to have closed down. There used to be one in Derby and one in Coventry but I'm guessing that on-line prices have taken their toll. You will probably find that you have to look for tool suppliers / shops that sell wood turning accessories & wood rather than pure turning shops.
As suggested Axminster at Nuneaton or if you are in the area, Jaymac (The Toolshop) at Derby used to but I'd check on that before travelling. I think Reg Slack used to run courses there?
I'm far from an expert at turning (or anything else wood related) but by all means give me a shout if you think I can help.
Glynne

many thanks, id forgot Axminster after I looked at the prices of the lathes, lol ill go and have a mooch

Charnwood tools at Bardon (nr Coalville) have got a pretty good selection of tools and blanks etc.

Went to axminster.very impressed with it as I said before the lathes and workshop tools are astronomical but do look quality.helpfull staff and great range of stuff.
Shame they dont stock sorby range and the wood blanks are naff but one hell of a shop. Still gettin moaned at by the mrs lol

Cheers

Hi, I,m all new to turning, I have been searching the internet for blanks. I,m surprised that there are a lot of places you can buy blanks from.. My first purchase was from ebay which was a starter pack from Home of wood a great selection for people who are learning like myself I also bought one of their bigger packs.. fancied some exotics so I have also purchased a pack from Yandles.

( seems all woodturning suppliers are never close to hand )

Was at a indoor boot fair the other day and bought a load of chisels. bargain price I got them.

My wife will start moaning soon as I,m spending money... ( how long until she stops me going to my shed ? )

Pat

Hi

My preferred method of obtaining blanks is to buy kiln / air dried boards from timber suppliers - much more economical than buying pre cut blanks :) . Ideally you need a bandsaw to cut out the blanks but you can manage with a hard point saw, (bowl blanks do not need to be round, just knock off the corners and take things easy on the lathe until you've got it round).

Regards Mick

Spindle":2kwxj297 said:
Hi

My preferred method of obtaining blanks is to buy kiln / air dried boards from timber suppliers - much more economical than buying pre cut blanks :) . Ideally you need a bandsaw to cut out the blanks but you can manage with a hard point saw, (bowl blanks do not need to be round, just knock off the corners and take things easy on the lathe until you've got it round).

Regards Mick

+1 for that mick

Hi Guys I've been using these companies stiles and bates www.stilesandbates.co.uk , home of wood www.homeofwood.co.uk as they are close to me . Does any one know any other suppliers in south east England. The 2 mentioned are very good but like to see if there's others that supply close to surrey.

Pat

Hi Pat, I live in Staffordshire and use Homeofwood, the postage is a bit of a pain but the value and quality of the wood that they supply overcomes that.

Vic

Hi Vic..

I suppose with wood the postage will be a bit more than some items due to the weight and sizes... But I,m happy to pay extra postage for the quality and service. I am slowly getting to grips with all this now... don't know why its taken me so long to start turning :)

All the best

Pat

Back