Navy blue/black honing stone.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
Recent purchase from the uk. This natural stone was in fairly rough condition when I received it. Concavity on both flats with reasonably deep grooves suggesting it had been used at some stage with narrow chisels and/or a variety of carving chisels. Stone measures 20cm x 5.5cm x 2.5cm. Its of medium hardness close to 8000 grit, and exhibits an off white to brown slurry. It reminds me a lot of a modern mined German Muller stone, but of a much earlier period in time. Its possibly a Blue Thuringian. https://www.griffithshavinggoods.com...nt=25756010056

The following photo shows the colour after being freshly flattened with sic 280.

The next photo shows the colour of the stone after 24 hrs of being flattened. (Same colour as originally received).

The final photo shows the stones slurry after been worked with a chisel.

I should make mention that the lubricant used is water. Another feature of this stone is that if not enough water is maintained on the top surface of the stone, the stones surface if prone to fine scratches when the pressure applied by the cutting edge of the tool is not kept even. Not a big deal as these scratches can be later removed by rubbing the surface on a float glass of 400 grit wet & dry, but it does emphasize that some stones are more prone to a higher maintenance than others based on their surface hardness.

Stewie;

The following is another natural stone that's just been re-flattened. Measuring 18cm x 4cm x 1.2cm, its size is more reflective of a razor hone. Both sides have severe undulation suggesting that the parameters needed within honing a razor are somewhat different to that required within sharpening woodwork tools.

Both flat surfaces prior to being flattening with 280 sic.

After flattening has been completed, the natural features within the stone become much more visible. Its most likely a Welsh Llyn Idwell Grecian Hone. I haven't had time to attempt to grade its grit, but it certainly feels to the touch like an excellent finishing stone.

Stewie;

Not sure on the first one except to say that thuringians of a color type have a slurry the same color as the stone. So if it were a blue thuringian (second in desirability to the yellow/green or light green types - or does that make it third? I don't know).

That and the strange width make me think it's something else. 5.5 cm width is unusual.

I got a gray stone not dissimilar from the one you showed (but not totally the same) a couple of weeks ago, and as the surface is already flat and polished on it, it seems to do as good of a job on razors as any other stone I've ever had (which would include a 10x2 labeled y/g Escher - which was a decent stone, but overvalued by the current market in my opinion). The gray stone cost about 1/8th as much as the escher.

I am normally a pig with a capital P when it comes to stones, but I don't know that much about the less common UK and continental slates/sedimentary hones. If they are good, though, the proof is in the use. An inexpensive hone that works like an expensive one is a real delight.

You are right on the second one. It is LI. But for the first one it is difficult to anything from available pictures. What does the slurry look like? Aby patterns? Flaws?

Hi adrspach; appreciate you posting.

This stone responds well to water. The top surface feels slightly gummy when worked, much like the 8000 Muller stone I have in regular use. The colour of the slurry is off white, leaning towards a dirty blackish/brown. If the stones surface lacks enough lubricant, its prone to developing very fine scratches from cutting edge being worked.

If more detail is required let me know.

Stewie;

There is another possible lead to the identity of the darker stone;

Waraho Water Razor Hone

Dark, charcoal black coloured hone. Very similiar in feel to Thuringen stones. The box reads, "This Hone has been produced to meet the demand for an inexpensive yet effective Hone." Made in Great Britain, exact origin unknown.

http://straightrazorplace.com/hones/425 ... rigin.html

its seems not be like thuringian Material, slurry is darker nearly brown/blackish...

http://straightrazorplace.com/hones/382 ... one-2.html

One thing I have found while visiting various secondhand emporiums is that slates were in quite common use in the UK. Whether I have passed over beaten up Thuringens and Eschers in my travels I will never know and the only way to find out would have been to buy them and use them unless I get some form of chemical analysis carried out. Kosher Yellow Lake or other Salmen branded stones are worth a second look because you never know where Salmen got some of their stones from but most of them are just slate of good quality.
If you can get a good shave with a straight razor off the stone then you have done alright, probably the best test I can think of and one that is not available to me because I don't own a straight razor.

Cant say I am that interesting in sharpening a straight razor myself. Prefer to use these stones to sharpen my chisels and plane irons.

Stewie;

swagman":r4yvb1gv said:
Cant say I am that interesting in sharpening a straight razor myself. Prefer to use these stones to sharpen my chisels and plane irons.

Stewie;

Exactly my requirements and what I have found with the slate stones is that you have to be very careful not to scratch the stone so not a lot of use for finer carving tools. They are good for putting a final polished edge on though but you can do that easier and faster with a loaded strop. I am sure there are harder slates out there but you will have to wade through a lot of stones first. Good as a final finisher in a cheap sharpening set up.

Essex; I may be reading your comments in the wrong context, but are you attempting to undermine the benefits these Natural honing stones have to offer the woodworker.

Stewie;

Not in the slightest Stewie in fact I enjoy using them but slate does have it's limitations. Novaculite is my preference but some sand stones and others are worth a look, watch this space. However I would not bother using any of them on my Japanese knives and alloy steel plane blades, waterstones do the job just fine so why change.

Back